Mystery Buildings Challenge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HikerBob

Before I crash after a 23 hour, 420 driving, 9 hiking miles day... here's a little challenge for you.

Where in the Whites would you find these buildings and from where would you get this view of them?

mystery.jpg

It's a crop from a much larger picture. Had me puzzled for a moment or two before I realized what I was seeing :)

Bob

I'm going to guess the summit of Cannon Mtn. from the Mt. Lafayette area. Edit: Perhaps from the Garfield Ridge trail, Skookumchuck Trail, possibly the Greenleaf Hut area. I've seen Canon recently from Lafayette, I believe the above photo was taken from a point North or West of and below Mt. Lafayette.

Last edited:
Zoom of Cannon's summit from Garfield?

^MtnMike^

If this is Cannon, the near (left) building is the observation tower/deck, the far (right) building the top of the tram station. It would have to have been taken from the south or southeast, probably the latter, maybe Liberty. If it isn't Cannon and is in the Whites, it's one ski mountain or another, I'd guess.

I don't believe from Liberty you would be able to see the tram station. I would say with the foreground mountain ridge that the zoom shot from of Cannon on Garfield is correct. From the Old Bridle Path the Observation tower on Cannon reminds me of a lunar lander.

It's so grainy that unless you have a crappy camera, and I've seen lots of your pictures and so I know you don't, it seems like it must be further away than any of the previous suggestions. Although I find it hard to argue with any of them.

And then I cheated and looked at the trail conditions part of this site. It must be from North Twin.

Well I guess Cannon was easy if you knew the buildings as it seems everyone did. An interesting diversity of viewpoints though.

Yes, it was taken from the viewpoint on North Twin. It was cropped from THIS larger image.

When I first looked at the image they had me scratching my head for a moment.

Bob