Need a few ideas for an outdoor team building competition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H Swanson

Reaction score
Okay so here's the situation. I am fortunate enough to have a boss that wants me to lead an outdoor group team building day. :) We're looking at an outdoor area with lake, trails, and woods. Our group has about 16 people. Most of these people do not have extensive outdoor experience but some do.

In addition to a short hike and some canoe time, I was thinking about having 4 activities where two groups compete. The intention is to build team spirit and have some fun.

I am looking for activiites that do not rely solely on physical strength and speed. Skills, knowledge and analytical ability could be involve too. And of course, higher risk activities are probably not good (diving competions) :eek:

I have a few ideas in mind that I've seen used on Outward Bound, Survivor etc, but I could use a few more ideas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

JHS

Hey John,
I'm sure people will have all kinds of ideas, so here's a quick one.
"Scavenger hunt" by means of map and compass. 1st team back wins the $50,000 grand prize (or similar substitute ;) ). Most hunts have a list of things to gather. In this case it would be things they'd have to find that you have already hidden.
Good luck,
Bill

Trying to fit your whole group on a platform (only a couple of feet from the ground) that is clearly too small is a great teamwork building task.

Several "ropes courses" I've been on have similar obstacles. you can improvise with a rope outlining the "platform."

Trust falls is another good one.

Human knots are fun

spencer

Funny story

My boss is a BIG guy. Well over 300 lbs. He's not fat, just BIG. Like plays football big.

So I mentioned having team building competitions and imediately he responds:

If you think I'm going to fall and you guys catch me forget about it.
I know what will happen, the minute I fall everyone is gonna dive out of the way. and if they don't :eek: I'll probably kill someone.

I guess it falls (no pun intended) into the high risk cateory.

Hmm..

Definately Basket Weaving... its not in the high risk category unless of course you start throwing them at each other.

So... Basket Weaving... yeah... hmmmmm :eek:

whitewater rafting! first timers can participate, and it is a great team activity with many opportunities for learning and discussion on the way down the river and thru the rapids.

i have participated in a few training sessions with various groups and it always is a positive learning experience for all. the rafting industry in maine has a great safety record and the kennebec river is exciting without the dangers of other rivers.

the forks area has paddling, biking, the AT for hiking, great fishing, moose watching. and some of the companies have ropes courses too. there is even some wild nightlife if you know where to look for it.

Here is a link to some activities. Knots is a great game as an ice breaker to get people working together and comfortable with physical contact with their team members. Spider web is always fun and is very common at team building events.

Several other games which might be fun for adults:

- sneak attack: each team appoints one target. They split up in the woods and sit somewhere, blindfolded. The opposing team surrounds and starts stalking the target. They try to capture the target before they get caught. If the target hears someone they point in the direction of the sound. A caught stalker hes to move back to the starting point.

- drum roll: Similar to sneak attack except: target is not blindfolded and beats a drum (pot and spoon works). His own team surrounds him and they are blindfolded. They try to reach their target while navigating the woods blind. The first team to reach their own target wins. You can have either the entire team tag the drummer, or just one team member for a shorter version. Note: make sure the playing woods are safe from serious trips, slips or falls.

- Brownsea Island turn around:
The scenario: the teams have just completed a resort complex on a tropical island. The realize they built it entirely backwards. They need to correct their mistake by flipping the island over before they will be able to sit back and relax.
Rules: Each team stands entirely on a tarp, preferably one with different colors on each side. They need to flip the tarp they are standing on to the other side without anyone stepping off the tarp. If someone steps off the tarp the team must start over. A 8'x10'tarp works well for 8-10 people. First team to complete the turn around wins

- On the feet of giants:
Scenario: Similar to Brownsea Island turn around, except the events are observed by the giants supporting the island. This time the giants flip the island for the friendly, albeit feeble minded builders.
Rules: Team members lay in a circle on the back with their feet in the air, legs towards the center of the circle and sticking straight up. They can support their back side with their hands since they won't be using them. The tarp is spread out on their feet, and they must flip it using their feet only. If they touch the tarp with the hands, or the tarp touches the ground they must start over. First team to complete the flip wins.

Tony

I would go with map and compass. You can also do an overnighter where you use minimal gear. You would have to build a shelter for night, start a fire without matches etc.... That would be a great for team building.

Since you live in NJ you can use the Delaware Water Gap area as well as the Delaware river. There is some good legal primitive campsites along the river that alows fires. For some white water you can use the Mangaup river just above Port Jervis NY.

Caterpillar Races:
Two teams generally 5-8 on each team (can be more). Two sleeping pads per team. Have to get from point A to B without feet touching the ground (need to stay on a pad.) Some soft skills to present. Blindfold the most experienced person. The most talkative can’t talk, etc..

Otter Ball:
Two or more teams, generally 8-10 on each team (can be more). Need a big open space. Any bean-bag stuffed animal will do. Team with the Otter starts. Team throws the Otter. The other team has to run over, form a straight line in front of the Otter and pass the Otter, “over” shoulder, “under” the legs of the next person (up and back the line). The team that threw the Otter designates a runner and quickly forms a tight circle. The runner scores a run every time they complete a lap around the group. Once the team with the Otter goes up and back with it, they throw and so on.

I won’t get into Elves, Wizards and Giants. :cool:

Use to teach Games & Initiatives to youth workers and they are cornerstone with any trips I take youth. Having said that, the adults I have done these with seemed to enjoy them more…

John H Swanson said:
In addition to a short hike and some canoe time, I was thinking about having 4 activities where two groups compete. The intention is to build team spirit and have some fun. JHS
Try http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/sect9.shtml

Lots of info there, it's an online exerpt from the book "Outdoor Action Guide to Group Dynamics & Leadership" by Rick Curtis.

Scroll down to "initiative games".

-p