New high definition Adirondacks film premiering Wednesday, 5/14, 9:00PM

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
Here's the text of an announcement I rec'd:

The Adirondacks in High-Defintion

The Adirondack Council and WNED PBS are pleased to introduce a new high-definition film, The Adirondacks, premiering on your local PBS station Wednesday, May 14th at 9 pm ET.

The Adirondacks is a two-hour documentary that brings the beauty and grandeur of the Adirondack Park to a national audience. The story of the Adirondacks is told through a series of local, passionate characters, each with a unique perspective about life in the Park.

The Adirondack Council is proud to be an underwriter of this film which conveys the message of Adirondack preservation, while exploring the complex relationship between the natural world and human activity within the Adirondack Park.

View the Adirondack Council's press release on the film, The Adirondacks.
http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001wvshwEkH...0SA7hbOoy2i7NeTdhDOL0O9MSP3mOO0u-VYohV_WQbw==
============
Here's a link to another press release which includes a 30 second video preview.
Here's a link to more info about the film and a short video preview
http://www.pbs.org/theadirondacks/i...epath=/theadirondacks/index.html;prefchange=1

I can see it now: ‘‘Local, passionate characters’’ that will probably have us all scratching our heads, wondering who the heck they are.

Thanks for the reminder, though. Now if I can just remember to program the VCR when I get home.

Wow, a 2 hour show on Pete? :D

This is on May 22nd at 9pm for those schmoes down by NYC, who has WNET as one of the local PBS stations... Looking forward to it.

Jay

No, I don't think so:

http://www.pbs.org/search/search_programsaz.html

Click on the above, and scroll down a little to look for 'the adirondacks' and plug in your zip code.

A list of your local PBS stations will come up and a list of showtimes..

Not every PBS station will broadcast this tonight, so you have to check your local PBS station. For me, it's WNET-NY, but I also get a PBS station from Long Island to on my cable provider.

Jay

ferrisjrf said:
Looks like it's on tonight at 9PM on WLIW (Long Island PBS affiliate).

Jason

You're right!

http://whatson21.wliw.org/schedule.php?view_date=2008-05-14&time_frame=evening

the PBS.org link I posted above is only for Over-The-Air PBS, if you get a distant PBS station, you should also check that. I can't get WLIW over the air but since I have cable, I get both WNET and WLIW (affiliated stations anyway) so I get both of them in HD.

Cool, I will be watching tonight for sure... finally, a good looking program on local interest!

Jay

Great! :D Don't worry una_dog and MJ, I won't invite myself over again. ;)

una_dogger said:
Lol!
Maybe if you bring mj a six pack this time!?!
HEY! I thought he liked the Blackberry beer too!! :confused: Don't put ideas in my head. :cool:

Wha? Huh? Somebody say my name with reference to beer?

I don't plan to watch this one live ... too many things to do what with being out swilling with the Denali gang tomorrow night. TiVo is already set. :)

was on in syracuse

was an all purpose show...little bit on all aspects of the region from founders to building of great camps to towns that survive thru the short summers to hiking trails of becoming a 46r. Very good show, made me miss the area so much and wonder about living there. I grew up very close to all that but never enjoyed it as much as now. :)

Was on WLIW last night at 9pm. WNET has it on May 22nd... Do you get NYC station up there OTA Tom??? Since I have cablevision, I get WLIW so I watched it last night.

As Viewseeker mentioned, it was a very brief synopsis of how the park was formed, talking to a bit of local historians and artists, including Carl Heilman and Bill McKibbon, Ed Kayne, some others. A history of "Paul" Smith and his Saranac Lake history as well as a brief mention of everything from the logging history, the history of the Adirondack rustic style to the 1932 and 1980 olympics.

nothing too earthshattering, some shots of the summit of Algonquin and Cascade, a shot of the front of the HPIC, a shot inside of the store..... ummm, shots of the various lakes, a blurb about old Forge and the 90 Miler Canoe race from Old Forge to Saranac Lake.

Jay

Did anyone else feel as though they panned to quickly on the scenery? We watched in in high def on a big screen, the visuals of the landscape were amazing. I would have enjoyed some more time to look at them!
The areal shot of lake tear was sweet!

I agree it was an all purpose show. Much centered on how to balance people living in the park. Some very interesting people and how they manage to eek out a living.

There was a documentary maybe 5 years ago that focused on the formation of the park. In it they used original footage of all the trees going down the Hudson as timber. Apparently this same footage in its day created a huge public outcry which helped save the Daks. It was compelling footage to see. If anyone recalls seeing it, do you remember who produced it? I'd love to try to get it on dvd.

Last edited: