Newton, MA resident dies on Denali

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/newton/2009/06/newton_doctor_dies_in_fall_fro.html

I just got back myself from a successful ascent, and given the challenges posted by the West Buttress route, I'm amazed there aren't more falls, given the number of people climbing. I am even more amazed someone would try a harder route down, especially this one, which is astonishingly frightening.

It is very odd they decided to come down this route, as it is *very steep* and as one knowledgeable person pointed out, the Messner Couloir is usually either a sheet of ice or about to have an avalanche.

True shame this.

Brian

Thank you both! It was a wonderful trip, three weeks on the mountain. Denali is grand both in its size and its beauty.

I'm also very grateful to all the folks on this list who offered me all kinds of helpful advice.

I was really impressed by the slideshow Team Dom Denali put on last year, and I will be hosting one myself later this summer, also hopefully at Joy Street. I will send out a notice when I have a date set.

Brian