NH48 Diretissima North to South 9/19-9/28

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Here we go again. This time it's a Cabot - Moosilauke version with the the other 46 in between.

Prelim schedule:
Friday 9/19: Aiming for 4:30am start at Mt Cabot Trail to Mt Cabot-Kilkenny Ridge Trail-Waumbeck-Star King to route 2....then camp somewhere along route 2 or if things go well even hit the trail towards Jefferson.....heavy pack so not sure how much of route 2 I can do after the Kilkenny Ridge.

Saturday 9/20: Castle Ridge Trail to Jefferson-Adams-Madison-Pine Link Trail to Barnes Field and the Fall Gathering. Relatively light day so I can spend some time at the gathering

Sunday 9/21: 5am head out to route 16 north-Stony Brook Trail to Moriah-Carters-Wildcats-cross 2 again and head up Glen Boulder Trail to Davis Path and camp somewhere before Isolation.

Monday 9/22: Isolation and back up Davis Path to Washington-Monroe-Ike-Pierce-Jackson-Tom/Field/Willey-Ethan Pond for the night.

Tuesday 9/23: Shoal Pond Trail over Carrigain-Sawyer Pond Trail-Cross Kanc-camp somewhere before Passaconnaway along the Oliverian Trail. This is a relatively light day in case I don't make it as far the previous day.

Wednesday 9/24: Passaconnaway-Whiteface-Tripyramids via Kate Sleeper trail-North Slide-Tecumseh- camp thereafter.....

Thursday 9/25: Osceola's-Hancock's-Cedar Brook Trail towards Bonds-camp somewhere before Bonds

Friday 9/26: Bonds-Zealand-Hale-Old Firewarden-Twins-Galehead-Garfield- camping at 13 Falls

Saturday 9/27: Lincoln Brook Trail to Owl's Head-go south on Lincoln Brook trail about a mile and then head right onto the logging road until it dissapears - then straight up to the low point between Flume and Liberty (this will be hard but a smaller pack by now). Tag Flume and over Liberty to Little Haystack-Lincoln-Lafayette and down to Lafayette Campground for the night.

Sunday 9/28: Up Cannon from Lafayette Campground-Cannonballs-Kinsmanns-KinsmanRidge Trail to Kinsman Notch-Moosilauke-finishing at Ravine Lodge.....

Please feel free to join in on any stretches. I'll try to keep contact via cellphone so this site can be updated. Don't call my cell - text me if need to get hold of me.

Business as usual: everything on foot, carrying everything from start except liquid. I say liquid since I will probably have a beer at BF :D

Lots of sun dancing needed here.... :)

Last edited:
Best of luck Mats!

I will attempt to do a sun dance for you, but um, well, not that good at dancing... :eek:

Sorry this interferes with some other weeknd plans, but maybe I can take a day or two off mid week and join you on parts of the trek.

Looking forward to the updates.

;)

I'll be seeing you on Castle Ridge Trail on 9/20 as we hike to Barnes and then on Mt. Flume Saturday 9/27 as we hike to Lafayette Campground. :D

Looks like you listed Jackson twice and not Eisenhower. Also Whiteface is missing. Though I am sure you wouldn't miss two peaks.

AndyF said:
Looks like you listed Jackson twice and not Eisenhower. Also Whiteface is missing. Though I am sure you wouldn't miss two peaks.

That would add some mileage to do have to go back and redo Ike and Whiteface after I come off Moosilauke......thanks...... :D

Good luck! I'll have fingers crossed for weather and water crossings, too!

Good Luck Mats. I may not be able to tag along for any this year, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of company and moral support on your journey.

However there's a small chance, if things go right I might be able to catchup for that last weekend around owl's head. Probably wouldn't make it to 13 falls on Friday night, but might hoof in on Saturday morning....I'll have to check in.

Nif

But the real question is: how many pushups are you doing on each summit?

Best of luck. This is such an inspiring way to tackle the Whites and I'm glad to hear you're doing it again.

Good luck Mats,it's an awesome plan. I need an adventure like that in the near future.Any idea on total mileage?Vert?

Tracking Device.....

Will try to use the new Iphone tracking device for the Diretissima so people can check my progress.......one caveat though....depends on reception......worth trying though.....initial testing around Boston works great. It even shows the altitude of the person with the Iphone!

Here is a link to some more info: http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/2008/04/04/live-location-tracking-coming-in-iphone-20-os/

Will send username and password to the tracking site for those people interested in following me.

Mats

You should be able to bang that out no problem.
It's an interesting route you chose. Is it much different from last years effort?
Did you complete last year?I was'nt on the sight and am fascinated with this type of trip.

Mats Roing said:
Will try to use the new Iphone tracking device for the Diretissima so people can check my progress.......one caveat though....depends on reception......worth trying though.....initial testing around Boston works great. It even shows the altitude of the person with the Iphone!

Here is a link to some more info: http://justanotheriphoneblog.com/wordpress/2008/04/04/live-location-tracking-coming-in-iphone-20-os/

Will send username and password to the tracking site for those people interested in following me.

Mats
You're not going to lose this thing in the first 15 minutes of your hike, are you? :p

-Dr. Wu