nice bushwhacking conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
Just thought I would mention that we finally have enough snowcover in the Whites for some nice off trail travelling.
Boy it was along wait but now the snow is deep enough and firm enough that
you can move around without getting hung up on the small scrub and blowdowns.
I had good luck bushwhacking down off the Old Bridle Path and then again over in Crawford Notch across the river from Fourth Iron, heading towards Mt Hope.
One thing I did notice when picking my way across the Saco River, which is pretty shallow, you can be up 10 feet or so above the water but if you broke through you would have one heck of a hard time trying to climb out. I was quite surprised when I went to look at one of the hollows and saw how far down the water was from where I was standing.
Does any one know how these snowbridges are formed over running water on flat terrain??
Any favorite off trail destinations when conditions are right?

spider solo said:
One thing I did notice when picking my way across the Saco River, which is pretty shallow, you can be up 10 feet or so above the water but if you broke through you would have one heck of a hard time trying to climb out. I was quite surprised when I went to look at one of the hollows and saw how far down the water was from where I was standing.
Does any one know how these snowbridges are formed over running water on flat terrain??
I would think that the surface freezes while the water continues to run below. It is surprising to see running water year round, but there it is.

I'll be getting lost in the Pemi on Sunday. It's nice to know that more of the brush will be buried.