Nokia Phones Offering Free GPS for 74 Countries No U.S. Phones Supported, Yet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
An interesting development in the GPS industry. Time will tell whether they're as useful as the hiking GPS models. Hopefully it will push the prices down.

Ojanpera wouldn't explain how partners such as Lonely Planet, Michelin Guides, WCities and Time Out are making money now that Nokia is offering their formerly-for-pay products for free

I'm not sure they were making much money before. There are a few choices for free available for European users of Nokia smartphones.

In addition the Nokia GPS is really good for Geocaching and Possibly walking but the Nokia phone's GPS usage malfunctions when used in a car. Phones lose gps signal, phones lock up and have to be hard reset when you need them most. In other words they are unreliable for GPS use.

I'm a bit of a Nokia geek, having used N73, n95 and n97 in the past. Every time I resorted to using a free product Google Maps which uses cell signal in addition to GPS. It is helpful in case when you lose GPS. It isn't helpful if you lose cell signal, however as the prompts keep popping up and interferring with the view of the map. It is still better than Nokia Maps which aren't even worth having for free at this juncture.