North and South Twins, Galehead and A Close Encounter with a Moose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally, we’ll be hiking with Mark and Natalie Truman. We’ve been wanting to get together for years and being able to do a hike which would incorporate three four thousand foot mountains was icing on the cake.
We met them at the Galehead River trailhead parking lot and our plan was to leave our van there and have Mark drive us all to the North Twin trailhead where we would take that route to the summit of North Twin then over to South Twin. From there, a short stop at Galehead hut to drop off our packs and then on to the summit of Galehead.
Starting out, the trail was wet and the air muggy but the conversation kept our minds occupied with the anticipation of summiting mountains we’ve been talking about for months. Our plan also included stopping every hour for a “snack break” to keep our bodies fueled. We anticipated crossing the Little River several times but we avoided this by taking the recommended bushwack. At the end of the bushwack we stopped once again at a slight detour because of “undermining” of the trail due to the recent heavy rains.

This obstacle was marked with colored tape strung between the trees.

Crossing the stream by holding on to some recent blow downs we were able to cross without any difficulty.

With all the nonstop conversation, it seemed like in no time we reached the first viewpoint.

It wasn’t long before we reached the viewpoint just below the summit of North Twin and then the actual peak. Here’s the group shot at the summit of North Twin.

Neighboring summits were still engulfed in clouds but it looked promising that the sky would eventually clear.

Next stop: South Twin, which we reached in about 30 minutes.

After lingering around the South Twin summit we then started the rocky descent to the Galehead hut, which drops 1,100 feet in 8 tenths of a mile.

We finally reached the hut; filled our nalgenes with cool refreshing water, rested awhile and then it was on to the summit of Galehead. Mike suggested that summiting a four thousand footer without a full pack would be cheating. Mark kind of agreed but the girls said “no way” we’re leaving our packs at the hut.

Anticipating the long hike down to the van we delayed leaving, taking in the stunning views.

Soon we were back on the trail; taking breaks every so often and eventually reaching the new section of the Gale River Trail which proved to be quite muddy. It will take some time before the trail “settles in”.

After dropping off Mark and Natalie at their car and saying our “goodbyes” we headed back to Lincoln with intentions of getting a good pizza at G&M. As we neared the Basin, a driver coming the other way on the Franconia Notch Parkway flashed his lights. Five seconds later; BOOM!!!! Michael who was driving, sees a moose’s head come thru the driver’s side windshield. Glass was everywhere. We were able to safely pull off to the side of the road and we just looked at each other and said “Are you alright”?

We got out of the van as vehicles started to pull over to offer assistance. Michael wrapped his bloody hands in a towel which we brought along for the hike. Apparently, he had multiple cuts from trying to push the windshield back out so he could see where he was going. Within 15 minutes the state police and then the EMT’s arrived. They checked us out and took all the needed information and then drove us back to our room at the Franconia Notch Motel which was only 5 minutes away. Before we left the scene, Donna took a few pictures of the van and the now dead moose.

The next day we called all the necessary people, including: the insurance company, car rental (Enterprise) and Arnolds, which is where the van was towed. After breakfast, Enterprise came and picked us up at our motel room and drove us to their office In Plymouth. We were able to get a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the remainder of our trip. We stopped by Arnolds and took a few more pictures. Looking at the van we realized just how lucky we were.

It could have been much worse.
We didn’t let this incident dampen the rest of our vacation and we would eventually do another 12 mile hike on the Moats.
The van was not totaled and is now being repaired in New Hampshire. I guess this is a good excuse for us to come back sooner than we thought once the repairs are complete.

Thank you all for your thoughts and concerns.

Thank you Mark and Natalie for a great day of hiking in the mountains we all love so much. Look forward to our next hike in the White Mountains!

Mike and Donna

Here’s the link to the rest of the pictures:

http://jimmylegs.smugmug.com/Nature/Hiking/North-and-South-Twin-Galehead/19355906_sMQT4Z

Wowee! Glad you guys are OK, as you say, could have been much worse. Have you guys been up since Sat/Sun? I'm pretty sure I heard from Steve that I missed bumping into you guys at the Wanderer.

We have been drivin all over some of the major Moose Alleys- Rt 2, 3, 115, 116, 302, & 110, haven't seen a single one so far this week.

Glad you had a good hike, but I'm very sorry it ended the way it did. FWIW, you might want to put a warning of some sort in your title -- I could have done without seeing the picture of the dead moose. :( Thought the wording of your title meant you had seen one on the trail.

Glad the two of you weren't killed, wish things had gone better for the moose. Accidents happen, I once hit a deer in spite of my best efforts (driving below the speed limit and constantly watching the sides of the road...a deer ran out in front of me and I didn't hit the brakes in time...absolutely nothing I could have done differently). Hope you two are okay, I know it took me a long time to get over the deer incident.

That is sooo scary.

Happy you are both OK and were able to enjoy the rest of your trip.

Wow, I'm glad you two are ok. I'm pretty sure this is the time of the year when the bulls are in rut. Everyone should keep a sharp lookout.

FWIW, you might want to put a warning of some sort in your title -- I could have done without seeing the picture of the dead moose. :( Thought the wording of your title meant you had seen one on the trail.

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the title is the one thing you can't change when editing. I've occasionally wished for various reasons that I could edit the title but never have been able to.

Double Wow! It's great you guys are ok. Must have been a scary experience. All it takes is a matter of seconds, doesn't it.......

take care
Petch

by the way, nice report

Scary

Petch, you are right. You never see it coming. Even though I did the speed limit of 45 mph it happens so fast. Newly paved road, no lights, glaring headlights coming from the opposit direction, and a dark animal in the road spells disaster no matter what. I guess having no light pollution in the notch is better than the lives of a moose or a human.

Mike

I'm so glad you are alright. In your misfortune of having an accident after such a great hike, you are very fortunate. Incidents with a moose are so often catastrophic. I went on a guided tour in Alaska. The tour guide mentioned that her sister was a paraplegic because of a moose that came through her windshield.

Thank goodness that didn't happen to you folks. :)

Glad you are OK, sad for the moose. We just spent 5 days up there (including 2 days at Galehead Hut) without seeing anything bigger than a grouse but I am always in a state of tension watching the roadsides.

Yes, that new section of trail was really bad on Monday, but they still can't match the Adirondacks!

Omg!so glad to hear you are both alright!

I'm with Audrey, once I am north of Meredith I slow down and keep my eyes peeled when driving at dusk/dawn/night!

What a majestic animal. Your windshield photos are intense!!

Last edited:
Wow, a couple more feet to the left; would have been a different story. Glad everyone's OK.
No side air bag deployment either?

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the title is the one thing you can't change when editing. I've occasionally wished for various reasons that I could edit the title but never have been able to.

That's right, I've sometimes tried to edit my own titles but haven't been able to -- forgot about that.

Regardless, I'm glad you two didn't have to write your TR from the Intensive Care Unit.

Aww... sorry about the moose collision but glad you are both okay.

A few years ago I was on Route 2 in Vermont at night, driving below the speed limit and continuously scanning the road for critters. All of a sudden, BAM! a moose ran into the passenger side of my tiny Dodge Colt :eek:, blowing out the passenger window, cracking the windshield, and spreading moose hair all over the inside of my car. The moose was never to be found, so I always held out hope that the extent of its injuries was a headache. My only injury was a minor 1" cut on my upper thigh. My dog Sam had been sleeping in the back and was completely uninjured save for the rude awakening. It happened SO quickly.

The auto body dude gave me a hard time when I told him the moose ran into ME, but it was the truth. :eek:

Wow, glad you are all okay!

It's always sad when an animal loses it's life......but thankfully no major injures to the ones in the car.

Glad you had a good hike!

What a wonderful day we had with you guys!! So sorry it had to end for you the way it did. Even after talking to you and hearing the description of the accident I couldn't believe the pictures of the van and that your were both OK. What's amazed me most was that the airbags didn't deploy (although I guess this was a very unusual impact). At any rate, we're just so glad that you're OK and that you're at least getting a bit of repayment for all the hassle with another long weekend in the mountains. Be sure to let us know your plans!