NY 100 Highest (or any state) and map generator?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Looking for New York Hundred Highest and found this:

http://www.mountainpeaks.net/hiking_new_york.html

It does seem to have a few oddities, such as stating that Twin in the Catskills is 4040'. And what/where is Lookout, at 4085' ? Is it a bump on the side of some other DAX peak ? Ditto for Yard ? And are there really 2 Saddlebacks in the DAX ? And, 2 Boreas', with identical heights ?

Interestingly, if you've done all the ADKs, and the Catskill requirements, they all count! So, that's 81 down, 19 to go!

The site has the 100 highest for every state, at http://www.mountainpeaks.net. It even lists the 100 highest in Florida, down to 32 feet, including Big Cockroach Mound at 36'! Not sure I want to go there!! :eek:

The site also has this map generator thing, but I couldn't make it work. I tried it with IE and Firefox (successor to Netscape/Mozilla). Did anyone ever get it to work ?

Since when is the Burrough's range one peak?

Where is Sugarloaf on that list (between Twin and Plateau)?

That list is weird Tom, looking at the latitude/longitude, Hunter and Twin would be the same, but obviously, Twin is not 4040' which is the elevation of Hunter....

Jay

There are so many errors on that list that it cannot be taken seriously. All lists should have a consistent criteria, and this one appears to have none. The problem in NYS is there are different criteria in the Adirondacks and Catskills (in addition to different elevation criteria):
  • Adirondack 46: 300' prominence or .75 mile distance to the nearest higher peak
  • Adirondack 100 Highest: 300' prominence and .75 mile distance to the nearest higher peak
  • Catskills: 200' prominence (no distance requirement)
    The Catskill criteria is basically the same as that used in New England, and perhaps it is the one that should be used for a NYS Hundred Highest list.
Lookout is a bump on between Whiteface and Esther, not on any other list that I have seen.
Yard does have more than a 200' prominence from Big Slide
The second peak of Table Top has a 300' prominence from the main summit, and should definitely be on a NYS HH list.

BTW if you adapted just the 200' prominence criteria used in most of the northeast. Table Top #2 and Yard would be on the list. But Iroquois, Gray, Armstrong, Donaldson, Emmons, and Nye would have to be dropped - these only make the 46 list based on distance, and not prominence.

Tom Rankin said:
The site has the 100 highest for every state, at http://www.mountainpeaks.net. It even lists the 100 highest in Florida, down to 32 feet, including Big Cockroach Mound at 36'! Not sure I want to go there!! :eek:

Hmmm, I wonder if Big Cockroach Mound is a Florida county high point? :rolleyes:
If so then you can be sure a few courageous explorers have trekked up its challenging slopes! :D

Last edited:
Tom,

There are two Saddlebacks (and possibly more) in the Adirondack Park. The other one is east of Jay, which is north of Hurricane Mtn. It is about 3615 feet. There is a fairly nice bushwhack on the Lewis side Well Hill Road, which continues to town of Jay.

Unless you have a serious 4x4, don't go by way of Jay; the orad is steep, rocky and often wet.

If you ever want a nice day out of the High Peaks, Jay is the place to go. Often one has the mountain to one self, and the exposed ridgeline is about 1,8 miles in length with outstanding views of nearly everywhere in the northern Dacks!!

Moose

Delaware only gets 18 peaks. And the bottom three tie at 5 feet!

I'm taller than the 16th highest point in Delaware?

Ok, I get the picture that the list is flawed at best. Thanks all for the feedback.

Has anyone got a better list of the NY 100 highest? If not, I'll start with the highest in the DAX and Cats, and just add 19 more peaks that are not bumps off of other peaks. I realize there are differences in how the lists are created, but it's all for fun anyway. I like making lists, and playing around with numbers.

BTW, after removing all the DAX and CATs from the original list, you're left with 34 peaks, so something sure ain't right! :D

I'll post the updated list here, unless I see a better one soon!

Tom Rankin said:
Has anyone got a better list of the NY 100 highest? If not, I'll start with the highest in the DAX and Cats, and just add 19 more peaks that are not bumps off of other peaks. I realize there are differences in how the lists are created, but it's all for fun anyway. I like making lists, and playing around with numbers.

BTW, after removing all the DAX and CATs from the original list, you're left with 34 peaks, so something sure ain't right! :D
Why the numbers don't add up? Some of the Catskills are missing: Sugarloaf, Wittenberg, Panther (the 3720' one in the Catskills), Rusk, Fir, Balsam, Bearpen, Eagle, Halcott. Big Indian also has the wrong elevation.

As far as generating a NYS HH list. The easiest way would be to obtain one of the northeast 3K list (e.g. from John Swanson). Then take the top 100 NYS mountains on that list. The 3K list was generated using a 200' prominence criteria and no distance criteria. The only quibble I have with the 3K lists is that they grandfather in the six 46er peaks that do not have a 200' prominence (Iroquois, Gray, Armstrong, Donaldson, Emmons, and Nye). To be consistent you should eliminate these and go a little farther down the 3K list to get the NYS HH.

NOT the NH 100 highest!

Any list of peaks is great as an excuse to get out and hike. But the "official" list of NH 100 highest differs from the list on the website above by 23 peaks. I couldn't recognize a few of the peaks on the site and the heights do not match the USGS topographics.

Have fun but don't take this (or any other) list too seriously.

rico said:
Great... I have to re-hike Donaldson, Tabletop, and Blake :mad:

Are you referring to the fact that you have to go back to a certain peak, to bag another peak that is quite close by ? I've had this happen several times. I didn't do Fort or South Brother in Maine one year, so I got to repeat North Brother. I should have done Vose Spur when I did Carrigain. I walked by Galehead once w/o climbing it. In all of these cases, my goals changed. I can remember saying to my hiking companions, "It's (South Brother) not on MY list, so I'm NOT climbing it!". A little silly, especially since it is such a short diversion, and has such a remarkable view!!

Tom Rankin said:
The site has the 100 highest for every state, at http://www.mountainpeaks.net.
The lists seem to be the 100 highest named summits for each state, based on the database of the Board of Geographic Names. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_form

Hence it includes named summits regardless of col depth, omits unnamed summits regardless of col depth, and has a few erroneous elevations such as Bartlett Haystack NH. Roger Rowlett used to have a similar site for county HP but the errors outnumbered the genuine data and peer pressure got it removed.

bill bowden said:
Any list of peaks is great as an excuse to get out and hike. But the "official" list of NH 100 highest differs from the list on the website above by 23 peaks. I couldn't recognize a few of the peaks on the site and the heights do not match the USGS topographics.
You mean I don't get a patch for their NH100 list even though I've climbed them all? If there are really any you don't recognize, enter the name in the query form above, select the one with appropriate lat/long, and there will even be a Topozone.com link.