October ice on Washington ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I'm taking my nephew up Washington in mid October. I have full crampons and 6 point crampons for the top if needed.
I'm wondering if we could get away with those Get-a-Grip type slip on traction cleats ? thanks

I was up on Jefferson that time last year and there were a few slippery spots in the morning but by the time we came down everything had melted. I had stabilicers with me but they stayed in my pack as the ice layer was just too thin and sparse.

-MEB

I would say that the chance of having to use a Pointed Crampon in Early October would be rare. Although I would carry a Pair of Stabilicers or Yaktrax for the potential Icy spot. As the month progresses especially towards the end of the month a pointed crampon may come into play. I would keep my ear to the ground on Trail Conditions in the weeks leading up to your trip.

On flatter ground, I have no problems with Stabilicers or Yak-Traks. On the steep ground of Washington, where a fall will likely involve sharp inclined rocks, I would avoid those in favor of real crampons or great care or both.

-dave-

Ive never used anything but real crampons anywhere. That being said, you must consider that early on when minimal ice forms, its not easy walking in full crampons and quite frankly can be fatigueing and dangerous as its easy to twist an ankle on uneven rocks and such. Many times its a judgement call, enough ice to slip on and fall, but not enough for crampons. Although Ive never used them, I could see how some of the newer "stabalizer type" crampons might fill this gap.

sierra said:
Ive never used anything but real crampons anywhere. That being said, you must consider that early on when minimal ice forms, its not easy walking in full crampons and quite frankly can be fatigueing and dangerous as its easy to twist an ankle on uneven rocks and such. Many times its a judgement call, enough ice to slip on and fall, but not enough for crampons. Although Ive never used them, I could see how some of the newer "stabalizer type" crampons might fill this gap.
It's annoying to hike with full crampons on a thin layer of ice. Plus, you inevitably end up leaving ugly scratch marks all over the rocks -- particularly the ones that are not ice covered. The "stabilizer" things work ok (yaktrax) but you still have to be extra careful as I find that they only increase your stability not guarantee it. It beats barebooting but it's not 100% effective.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
It's annoying to hike with full crampons on a thin layer of ice. Plus, you inevitably end up leaving ugly scratch marks all over the rocks -- particularly the ones that are not ice covered. The "stabilizer" things work ok (yaktrax) but you still have to be extra careful as I find that they only increase your stability not guarantee it. It beats barebooting but it's not 100% effective.

-Dr. Wu
The Scratching of Rocks is definitely not a good thing and the surrouding vegetation can suffer damage also if the ice and snow has not matured to the point of protecting that vegetation. Adding a hiking pole can greatly increase your stability in the inbetween time of bare ground and full on ice weather you are barebooting or making use of a traction device.

You've been well advised. The only thing I would add is, check the weather. October can bring 60 degree days or a blizzard.
So you could need all the hardwear or none!