Old bridge abutment(s) in Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I remember reading long ago in one of Louise Dickinson Rich's writings, perhaps even "We Took to the Woods", something she'd written about seeing in the forests of northern Maine what looked a lot to her like some very, very old bridge abutments, appearing to be man-made of stone. I don't think rail was laid in northern Maine THAT long before she was there in the 1930's, perhaps 80 years at most; not long enough to appear as ancient as I think she'd thought they seemed, if indeed that's what they were.

Does anyone know anything about this, or if anyone archeologically inclined ever investigated whatever it was that she saw, and perhaps resolved it?

I thought it awfully interesting at the time I'd read it, and have been curious about it ever since. Would appreciate any (constructive, please!!) comments any other readers might have. Would also be grateful for your emailing a copy of your response to me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Norman Muehleck, WI