Old Bridle Path rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
The Caledonian Record (July 1, 2005) reported the successful carry out of Janine Palmer, a 55-year old hiker who broke her leg on the Old Bridle Path (Lafayette) about two miles up from the trailhead on Wednesday night. It was on the "Agonies," that notoriously slippery--"greasy"--section of basalt. The incident occurred at 3 p.m. and was reported by about 4.30. At 9 p.m., she was at the ambulance in the parking lot. That's a relatively fast response and carry out. It was the initial operation of the newly-formed Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue Team, under direction of NH Fish and Game.

That time is very impressive!

I' am wondering if her leg was truely broken and the rescue crew only had to assist her out of the woods? I also wonder if her leg was broken and she could not walk if she was a small person that could be easily carried out.
Either way that response time for a rescue from basiclly all volunteer team is amazing. I'd be willing to say she probably waited in the ER longer to be seen by a doctor.

I've been on a couple of SAR missions and I can say the amount of people, planning, and effort put into every rescue is possibly more than most people understand. I know there is a lot of talk about the use of cell phones in the backcountry. Some feel that people rely on them too much and instead of being careful they just "go for it" and say "well I have a cell phone if I get hurt". I wish more people understood what goes into a rescue and not just "going for it".

bob lets go up with a couple hammers and bang some steps into that basalt. that section is highly annoying. glad they got her out ok

edit above post...

> "more easily" carried out vs. "easily" carried out.

Have you ever carried out anyone from the mountains? A light person is not "easy" to carry out, but a 120 pound person is a lot less work vs. a 240 (my current wieght) larger person.