Pain in the Knee

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waumbek, I do that stretch too! I have not yet fallen out of bed attempting it, but there have been a few close calls :D In any event, it's definitely a helpful stretch for me!

Waumbek said:
The ITBS stretching exercise that works best for me was suggested by a great PT. It's hard to describe. Lie on your side right along the edge of a bed with the affected leg or knee on the upper side; allow the affected upper leg to dangle down over the side of the bed. Do not fall out of bed.
Hook the outside of the unaffected ankle behind the affected side and lay it across the affected side's outer aspect. Now pull the bum leg further down with the good leg in order to increase the stretch. Sorry if it's hard to visualize....very effective though.

Another exercise...

Here's a modification of Waumbek's exercise above that was suggested by my PT friend...

1) Lie on your unaffected side with the unaffected knee held up towards your chest. Use both hands to hold the unaffected knee
2) Keep the knee of the affected leg bent
3) Do not try to let the ENTIRE affected leg drop over the side of the bed, as you will find it nearly impossible to completely relax the leg while it stretches. Rather, rest the part of the thigh that is just above the knee on the edge of the bed. Let the leg below the knee fall over the edge of the bed. When you are fully relaxed, your heel will tend to swing in towards the side of the bed. This is to be encouraged.

If anyone tries this one, post and say whether it works well for you.

When I went though PT for ITBS, they started me early on the "bed" exercise, but then (perhaps because I had a more acute case?) moved me to this stretch.

Apparently it can be difficult to do right without guidance. There's a modification where you do it kneeling instead of standing which easier to get correct (and it's harder to do it so the strain on the knees causes other problems).

If noticed that I can get a similar stretch in a number of yoga positions. If you're into yoga, you might ask your instructor.

jrichard said:
When I went though PT for ITBS, they started me early on the "bed" exercise, but then (perhaps because I had a more acute case?) moved me to this stretch.

Apparently it can be difficult to do right without guidance. There's a modification where you do it kneeling instead of standing which easier to get correct (and it's harder to do it so the strain on the knees causes other problems).

If noticed that I can get a similar stretch in a number of yoga positions. If you're into yoga, you might ask your instructor.

Thanks Good site Helpful info