Pants

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
What's the latest advice for pants to wear in cool / fall weather. I've been using jeans, but they can get soggy in the butt.

Almost anything but jeans, if you get caught in a 45 degree rain, you're in deep :eek:

Because fall can be cool or warm, I like the convertible hiking pants/shorts you can find almost everywhere & of course at the gear retailers. They shed light to moderate wind well, they don't weigh a ton if they get wet & they dry pretty quickly. If unseasonably warm, zip off the legs. In warmer weather, wear them as shorts, back the legs & it's like packing a pair of pants at a fraction of the weight.

jeans should only be worn for the car ride home. I love the way cotton (jeans T's & sweatshirts) feel post hike.

Mike P. said:
Because fall can be cool or warm, I like the convertible hiking pants/shorts you can find almost everywhere & of course at the gear retailers.
The convertables (zip-off leg pants) are very handy (and popular) for hiking. They are generally available in cotton and nylon--the nylon is better for hiking. EMS has them in several leg-lengths.

Check to make sure that the leg zipper is above your knee--you don't want it rubbing on your knee as you walk.

Doug

I'll second, third, or forth the nylon convertible hiking pants for 3 season hiking. In the spring and fall I carry a light weight pair of rain pants with me just in case.

Jeans are one of the worst things to wear while hiking...not all of the reasons are obvious.

The Bear Song (author unknown)

Sabattis is
the badest camp.
It's not too warm,
it's not too damp.

We got to camp
In late July.
Saw mountain pine
and clear blue sky.

The purest water
and fresh air.
No rattlesnakes,
but lots of bear!

They're in the fields.
They're in the streams.
They even hide,
in dark latrines!

They kept us up,
did dirty tricks.
They took our milk
and pancake mix.

One big bad bear,
was really mean!
He tried on all
of Scouter's jeans!

He tried them on
one at a time.
They looked too big,
but fit just fine.

One Scouter's friend
got really mad.
His name was Phil:
Phil had a plan.

"We'll splash him up
we'll splash him down.
We'll get those jeans
wet all around!

The big bad bear
then caught a chill,
'cause we all know
that cotton kills!

The vet rushed in,
but far too late.
The big bad bear,
had met his fate.

The moral and
redeeming end:
hypothermia
is our friend!
:D

Because my engines run hot once I get going, I hike in the same summer get-up as usual (ultra-light shorts & wicking tee) and add my Marmot rain pants when the temps fall or the rain starts. I'd agree with the whole convertible pants thing (and have used them to good effect), but I've found this current set-up plays the odds of good weather well and still accounts for bad. Saves two unzipped-legs'-worth of weight and is comfortable.

I also agree with not wearing jeans; it's just not necessary. That said, some still love hiking in jeans; more power to 'em.

Hiking pants are one thing where I think it pays to look to a higher end brand. Or at least shop around a bit.

Because, in my experience, most hiking pants -- especially zip-off pants -- are both incredibly ill-fit and (often as a result) incredibly ugly. Now, I'm not heading out on hikes to look my Sunday best, but I don't really want to pay money for junk.

I struggled with this question, and then a few years ago I finally found a pair of Patagonia stretchy hiking pants (not zip-off; I still hate those) and achieved hiking pant nirvana. They were functional for hiking and they actually looked like pants.

That said, I still hike in jeans sometimes (like I did today).

Gee, maybe I need to buy a better quality zip-off. I've never found ones that felt right. Until then, I use a heavy nylon (cordura) pant in the spring and fall.

Anyone have any experience with those very light wt fleece pants, or those poly yoga pants??

To me, the only thing the zippies have going is they are poly. But I already wear a pair of Patagonia nylon shorts, so I prefer 'real' long pants. I like the idea about the Marmot rain pants since I have a pair. Bit on a cool day, what to wear to start with?? Perhaps a pair of the Patagonia stretchies??

I have this pair of "running" shorts(even though I don't run), got some time ago that is a really lightweight poly-type material that I love when it's really hot or even now, cause it doesn't take much till my furnace gets stoked. Actually got them for working out, well hiking's a work out right??? And use rain pants, as a back-up(rarely use them), but they're there if I really need them. Also have a couple of zip off lightweight pants that I use. One is actually just slightly heavier than the other. Most of the time when I use the zip off's, I'll tuck the leg portion down into my gaiters for quick pull up, if needed. The only thing I don't like about the zips are how the butt looks in them, I think they make my butt look bigger than it is. :eek: Yeah that's what I need...... :rolleyes: Then on top of that, I'm short so lengths are hard to find for me......oh well what ya gonna do?

I just bought the EMS Adventure pants. They have a flap of material under the zipper so it doesn't rub against the legs. I wish I could find a 34 length, but the closest pair is in PA. Has been that way since April when I started looking. I wore them to Maine (beach) yesterday and zipped off the legs while wading and fishing. So far, they appear to fit and work well.

Tim

Sorry, couldn't resist

rup said:
What's the latest advice for pants to wear in cool / fall weather. I've been using jeans, but they can get soggy in the butt.

Well for starters, you could try not peeing in your pants during the cooler weather. If that doesn't work some Depends Undergarments should do the trick.

Heeheehee...just kidding. :D

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion, it may be a case of swamp butt.

Jeans are just about the worse thing you can wear, once they get wet they get heavy and retain the coldness and bring your body core temp down. I would think in perfect conditions, they would not be fun to hike in anyway.

I bought a pair of hiking pants this year and they work great. Before that, I would just wear shorts beneath a pair of waterproof warm up pants. Something light and waterproof will work.

I'll give another vote for for the zip off nylon pants. They are cool in the Summer but provide warmth in the Fall. They do very well against the wind. An added benefit is they keep you pretty dry in light rain (and dry very quickly). When it gets cold I carry a pair of rain pants. I will also wear a pair of wick-a-way shorts underneath if I want to add additional warmth

Want some inexpensive pants? Go to your nearest goodwill store, and look at the mens dress pants. These are usually NOT cotton, and you can get a pair for a few bucks. You'd probably want suspenders with them. For the price you pay for them, you wouldnLt even feel bad cutting the legs and making shorts out of them if it ever gets too hot. (remember LNT: Take the legs out)

You might be lucky, and get a bright colored plaid used-car salesman's pants.

I am not a fan of convertable pants and find the zipper awkward and uncomfortable. I either decide to wear pants or shorts depending on the season or how rough the trail will be.

I am surprised that no one has suggested this yet, but I find that softshell pants are much more comfortable then straight nylon. The stretchy material fits better and is less binding and breathes better than even the lightest nylon. the lighter material, schoeller dynamic, is great for spring-summer-fall; the heavier materials, schoeller dryskin and wb400, are better for fall-winter-spring (wb400 is great for winter; dryskin would be better for fall/spring).

Softshell pants are expensive and may not last as long as nylon (my uncoated nylon pants seem to last essentially forever), so that would be the main reason to buy something else.

I like beyondfleece, since they will make them custom for you. I see climb high offers mammut softshell pants on their outlet webpage for sale as well (offering a range of sizes).

Not so much on the fleece pants

rup said:
Anyone have any experience with those very light wt fleece pants, or those poly yoga pants??

Fleece pants, yep. Won't admit to the poly yoga pants, not in public anyway...

I have a very comfy-cozy pair of Columbia fleece pants. They're lovely for cool evenings around the house, or as a mid-layer on a wicked cold day of skiing. I wouldn't recommend them for hiking, though, unless you bring along a pair of zip-over warmup pants. The problem is, as cozy as they are, they're not much more wind-resistant than a window screen. I have nearly frozen my niblets off walking the dog on cold/breezy nights.

One possible option: I have a pair of Pearl Izumi biking pants that are remarkably like poly yoga pants, but with a windproof chap bonded to the fronts of the legs. They're great on a very cold morning mountain-bike ride, but still highly breathable and stretchy, without being embarrassingly like running tights. Just checked a couple places online and can't find them anymore, though...

Interesting.

One thing I don't need is depends. The hi point of any hike is a deposit to nature's bank. Gotta help those trees and bushes, a know.

DrewKnight said:
I have a very comfy-cozy pair of Columbia fleece pants. They're lovely for cool evenings around the house, or as a mid-layer on a wicked cold day of skiing. I wouldn't recommend them for hiking, though, unless you bring along a pair of zip-over warmup pants. The problem is, as cozy as they are, they're not much more wind-resistant than a window screen. I have nearly frozen my niblets off walking the dog on cold/breezy nights.
I reached a similar conclusion about fleece pants (for winter hiking). If you don't put a shell over them, the wind blows right through them, with a shell they are too hot. Either too little or too much and nothing in between. I carry a pair of side-zip fleece pants as emergency/camping gear.

My normal winter hiking pants are military surplus wool pants over light-weight polyester long johns. The wool pants are semi-wind-blocking and not too warm or chilly for most winter hikes. If need be, wind pants make them significantly warmer.

The OP asked about cool/fall weather. I often use my nylon zip-offs if it is not too cool. If it is a bit cooler, the zip-offs over the light-weight polyester long johns work well and fill in the gap between the zip-offs and the winter gear described above. If you get too warm and are wearing gaiters, you can simply drop the pants legs into your gaiters.

Doug