Partying in the Backcountry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been involved with the occasional backcountry party. Just keep away from other groups so you don't bother anyone, Leave no trace, and don't stray towards any cliffs. I would agree with a previous post that carrying a backpack full of beer is great conditioning. I do try to avoid hiking with a hang-over though.

cbcbd said:
Where did you get that meatball sub!!! I want one!! :D

that is the strangest looking meatball sub i have ever seen, looks more like a manwich.

anyone familiar with the term party mud?

A friend and I brought a bottle of vodka with us on a hiking trip once. After a strenuous day of hard hiking, we got through maybe two shots of the stuff before it knocked us out for the night. I don't know how anyone can party after a day of hiking. :eek:

A little nip or 2 mellows out a nice evening by the fire. Barcardi 151 even provides interesting entertainment from flamers in the fire. One of my favorite cam/videos is of my then 72 yr. young father doing his 1st flammer in to a fire off the Benton trail on the Moose, with only his 35+ old kids as witnesses. My mother would have had a fit but dad needs get out and have fun every once in a while. :D

All in all, swinging in my hammock nicely relaxed is about as good as it gets.

Of course to offset those images, once had my older brother fall on to our tent in 10 degree weather in a S. Comfort daze, breaking the poles and trying to convince me that we should walk 2 miles after midnight when he couldn't even walk 2 feet. That was a cold sucky night.

The is a time and place for everything, and moderation is a good thing. Although mention root beer snaps to my younger brother and he just shivers and changes the subject.

I will carry a Yeungling on my last NH 48.

I have never bothered others, with 5 kids of my own, I understand why.

Seriously, almost everyone on this thread is completely off main point. What Grouseking said are people carrying an entire case of beer or a LARGE amount of alcohol out in the backcounty and then getting sloshed. I understand people going to a cabin or roadside campsite, but being way out in nature and then destroying your ability to function. I was at Sawyer Pond with Grouseking, and these 2 guys were completely wasted and stumbling around and one even got lost. He could have wandered all the way into the pemi. I know the phrase "to each their own" but when it comes to being disruptive, and potentially dangerous I don't think it's right. I am not anti drinking, I drink socially all the time, but there are places for everything. I agree fully that someone can bring some wine or champaign after something special or important they accomplish, but what I am referring to are the people that go to backcountry areas and get hammered. I know a guy once who him and his buddies used to go to Flat Mountain and get trashed at the shelter, how safe is that, a guy who is too drunk to stand wanders off and falls into the lake or stream. I know the woods is a different experience for everyone, but if your going to get drunk, stay at home or go to a bar. If your going to have a drink to celebrate, then fine. I have had too many experiences with people being overly loud drinking and leaving beer cans everywhere..and im sorry that everyone isn't like that. -Mattl

I love how I try to bring up a very serious issue and the majority of people just play it off and make fun of it.....

Apparantly you and many others kind of missed the point about this. And its the same attitude I'm upset about that I keep hearing repeated in this thread. I'm talking about partying in the woods....partying. I'm not talking about having a small drink in your tent, or cracking open a bottle of champagne after completing a big list. I'm talking about hauling in a 30 rack and getting obliterated to the point where you are not only disturbing wildlife and possibly other campers, but also endangering yourself. Maybe you think you're not hurting anyone....but there is nothing more obnoxious than a loud party on a mountain late at night. This is what I'm talking about....the party atmosphere...

Also, I find it kind of funny that one person made a connection between hiking and alcohol and how they should go hand in hand because they relieve stress. Alcohol is a depressant and and causes dehydration. Hmm......the two sure go hand in hand.
;)

grouseking

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most here think this is a non issue being made into one. your going to have isolated incidents like the sawyer pond thing and mr f bomb, but those are the excpetions rather than rule.

last I knew the WMNF wasn't being over run with with partiers. I see what your trying to say and I agree a bit - but I think your judging it on 1 or 2 incidents.

I think your the guy(s) who passing people like me having a beer at a campsite and shake your head in disgust as you walk by becuase its not "appropriate".

just a guess.

One instance where LNT was overrated

I reflect back on one trip to the teton wilderness in particular.

It was a nice sunny warm day, We were hauling overstuffed packs (ah to be young again) Didn't have any alcohol because we were loaded for a long traverse going north to yellowstone.

Our travels brought us into a nice valley. A mountain stream ran the course. We were looking for a campsite and we stolled up a small feeder stream (just a trickle) to the edge of the valley. It ended in a spring. And there sitting in the spring were three cans of beer. I think they were about 40 detgees.

I looked at my partner who did not drink and thought to my self...I guess I won't have to fight him for them.

Like just about every rule out there, I can see examples where non-compliance is not all that bad. The beers were so sweet. And the 3 empty cans were carried for 7 days to the next trash.

I wound up carrying beer into quite a few campsites and chilled them in the spring. Definitely worth the wait to get them cold. Though getting them right off the bat when you're hot and sweatty is just a little better.

First, let's recognize the two extremes.

One extreme are the people who don't want anyone to have fun. These people bring to mind the old sarcastic definition of Puritanism: "The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be having a good time."

The other extreme are the loud, obnoxious dopes who, every time they drink a few cans of beer, you would think it was the very first time they've touched alcohol. The "anything goes" crowd. In short, these are the "amateurs", the kind you see far too many of on New Year's Eve and St Patrick's Day. When asked to keep their noise down and be considerate of others, their textbook response is always something brilliant such as, "You need to loosen up" or "We're just having a good time."

Now, if we could just find a way to discourage these two groups from reproducing, we're left with those in the big fat middle: normal folks who like to, and know how to, have a good time without disturbing those around them. They can choose to drink, they can choose not to drink, it doesn't matter. They're fun to be around, they laugh, they joke. But they know when it's time to shut up, put the cap back on the bottle, and go to sleep (in the bush, that means about 9pm, give or take a little). And they don't leave a mess behind. For those of you in this group, be fruitful and multiply.

grouseking said:
I love how I try to bring up a very serious issue and the majority of people just play it off and make fun of it.....

i apologize for playing around if it offended you, i saw the possibility of this thread becoming one giant rant(who wants that)

on the serious tip i fully empathize; most of the time when i ask friends to go backpacking all they tend to talk about is what alcohol, etc, they will bring. recently i began doing solo trips for that reason. i usually drink because i am not in the woods, when i am i want to be lucid in order not to miss some good noticing.

<mod hat>
Play nice, people. You can disagree with someone's opinion. You cannot insult or belittle that person. Got it?

-dave-
</mod hat>

Mattl said:
I know the woods is a different experience for everyone, but if your going to get drunk, stay at home or go to a bar.
And then he leaves said bar, drives the wrong way on the highway, and kills a family of four headed to the mountains. Or the guy stumbles out of the bar, wanders into traffic because he knows he shouldn't drive, and gets run over by someone coming off of the night shift at the local mill. Personally, I'd rather "hammered" folks be 5 miles from the nearest road.

Folks will "enjoy life" in the manner they see fit and in places of their own choosing. Who's to say how and where we can "celebrate" and with how much? I know some folks take advantage of the weight savings when staying in huts to carry beverages they normally wouldn't such as wine. Do we need to ban that as well? I don't drink much more than 3-4 beears a year and can't see why people would lug a case or two of it that far, but more power to them as long as they carry-in/carry-out. (Another rant altogether) That kind of camping isn't for me, but who am I to say what's "right". Heck, I hike in cotton! :eek:

There will be annoying and obnoxious people wherever you go. I was in Wal-mart last week and had to ask two high school boys to control their foul mouth around my kids. It's the price we all pay for living in a free society.

Just my two cents.

If a drunk falls in a forest and no one is around to hear him, how do you know he makes a sound?

Joking aside, if someone wants to go off and have a party in the woods far away from everyone else, that's fine with me. As long as they clean up afterwards. Besides, how would you know they had a party if you weren't around? As for having a loud party at tent site with other people that's not polite. That's just like having a party in an apartment and annoying all your neighbors.

Again, where did you get that meatball sub? :D

I'll just add my only stipulation that others mentioned - don't leave all your trash behind!!

Being loud partiers is temporary, I can deal with that - leaving your cans/bottles/trash behind is way more permanent.

grouseking said:
More importantly, its a very dangerous thing to do, because if something were to happen (getting hurt, wandering off in the middle of the night etc....
I've had more than one conversation with backpackers who use sleeping pills in the woods. They may be quieter than a drinker but have similar risk in a "what if" situation.

I know I don't sleep as warm in the winter if I've had anything to drink before hand, but I can and do wake up to make adjustments. I have no idea how pills would affect me.

Perhaps a poll where responders names are not able to be viewed would generate some info on "sleep aids" and their associated risks/benefits. I've found I sleep poorly the first night and then like a rock on subsequent nights, so knowing that I just deal with the first night - often with a bone dry martini or 2.

grouseking said:
I don't understand the need to pack heavy amounts of alcohol when people go out and go camping in the woods. When I say the woods, I mean away from the road or campground....away from "civilization." Drinking heavily makes no sense to me out there.....it is like some want to get drunk and get away with it.

Well, it's not like people need to hide in the woods to "get away" with getting completely, loudly, knee-walking drunk.

I don't get it either, but then I don't get the need to do it in the flatlands. My guess is that the people who do like getting wasted in the woods enjoy it for the same reason I like being in the wood with my dog, hiking with friends, or bringing enough hooch to enjoy a drink or two in camp.

Because it's stuff we enjoy in the first place.

poll where responders names are not able to be viewed would generate some info on "sleep aids"

I've used sleep aids when trying to sleep at altitude...I realize it may not be a good idea but personally feel the benefits outweigh the risks.

I'm only going to say one thing about sleeping pills because it is a bit off topic.

Bring ear plugs. They completely block out sound if that is what you are looking for. My only real backcounty camping experience I could have used them because a moose wandered by the tent around 11pm, so I couldn't sleep the rest of the night. I was always listnening for other sounds...would have been nice to drown them out for a couple hours.

I wonder how many people take sleeping bills with the rest of their beer?? :eek:

Back to the thread....

I need to explain my stance on this a little more...maybe it will make more sense to people. I am not a drinker....never have, never will be. The way I see it, if I survived college without getting drunk or even drinking, then I can make it the rest of my life. I take medication that pretty much limits my alcohol consumption to zero anyways, so yet another reason I suppose..... But I am still able to have fun without it....

So that is most likely why I don't understand partying in the woods. In fact truth be told, I see no reason to drink at all anywhere, but again that is my radical viewpoint. I'm definitely not trying to attack other people and how they like to have fun. I am trying to find where a good happy medium would be. As I stated before, I find drinking to be unnecessary in life, but I know that in our culture that is pretty much impossible so I can completely understand why many want to drink. Alcohol is everywhere....on ads, billboards...people just want to have a good time. Ok fine. That is pretty much where I draw the line. Too much fun can turn into obnoxious partying by ignorant humans. And out in the wilds, too much partying can be dangerous, and as I've said in previous posts, its not good for wildlife to be spooked like that.

Also, to comment on the "to each his own" phrase....

I agree partially with it, but saying that kind of shows some ignorance if you look at the big picture because I see drinking as a major problem in our country. Many are ignoring the problem this way...yea I see it as a problem, sorry people. I know I'm an outsider thinking this way and prob radical, but as a non drinker, you see something quite crazy as an outsider looking in, and it never makes sense. And then to go hiking, get into the outdoors, try to be one with nature, and hear a bunch of loud drunks screaming profanities till 2am.....I'll never understand it, and honestly I don't think I want to. And as long as there is the "to each his own" attidude with this, the obsession with alcohol won't go away.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I am reasonable, despite my radical beliefs. But please, try not to party hard in the wilds. It's dangerous.....

I'm really gonna get it now... :(

grouseking

Last edited:
grouseking said:
Also, to comment on the "to each his own" phrase....

And then to go hiking, get into the outdoors, try to be one with nature, and hear a bunch of loud drunks screaming profanities till 2am.....I'll never understand it, and honestly I don't think I want to. And as long as there is the "to each his own" attidude with this, the obsession with alcohol won't go away.

I think you're mistaking what most (rational) people here mean by "to each their own." I don't think anyone's excusing people trashing the woods (whether drunk or sober), or being loud and obnoxious (whether drunk or sober).

You don't like drinking, some people don't like hiking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts