Peggy O'Brien Trip - Logistics

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Ok, let's use this to discuss stuff like:

1. Who is bringing what from the 'not provided list'?

Filter / Towels / Matches / Garbage Bags / TP / Additional Cooking Utensils / Soap and Scouring Pads / Spices and Condiments

2. Can we carpool with each other?

3. Where can we park if the Garden road is inaccessible ?

4. To sled or not to sled?

5. ??

======================================

1. I'll bring a dozen garbage bags, 4 books of matches, and a lighter.

EDIT: Mcorsar is bringing a bottle of soap.

EDIT: Scouring Pad is covered

I recommend everyone bring their own TP, spices, condiments, and additional cooking utensils. (the list tells what is already there).

Generally, I think we should each bring our own food. If anyone wants to share once we're there, great. Other suggestions are welcome!

2. Laurie and I are carpooling, but that will pretty much fill our car!

3. EDIT: Can people park at the Rooster Comb trailhead and get a ride from one of the other group members, if need be ?

4. I have no sled.

5. Fire away!

Last edited:
1) I agree with everything you said there. Julie & I already planned our meals. I'll bring some garbage pails, and a couple towels to use for dishes. I'll also bring the tortilla press. Not sure what additional cooking utensils are, but I'll have a cutting board, sharp knife, and maybe a crêpe pan. I'll also have some extra cilantro, thai basil, kafir lime leaves, olive oil. If I can't find a small enough squash, I'll probably have extra squash. I'll also bring some chicken flavored peanuts!

2) Julie & I will work out how we'll get there. With the size of packs and sleds, I don't imagine that more than two can fit... unless a big car/van.

3) Closer parking than Marcy Field, is the trailhead for Roostercomb. I *usually* park there and walk up anyway.

4) I'd rather not use a sled, but I'm not sure if everything I'm bringing will fit in my pack. I'll probably be bringing a sled, though.

Pete_Hickey said:
1. Not sure what additional cooking utensils are...

3) Closer parking than Marcy Field, is the trailhead for Roostercomb. I *usually* park there and walk up anyway.

1. They already have:

12 of (plates, bowls, knives, forks, spoons) / 18 cups / Spatula / 3 serving spoons / Ladle / Openers / Pails! / Tea Kettle / Frying Pan / 2 Sauce Pans / 2 Gallon sized Pots / 2 Pitchers / 2 Pot Holders / Sharp Knife / Dish Pan / Large Mixing Bowl

3. Better Idea! Always seems to be empty. Don't walk from there! Someone can most likely give you a ride if we know when to pick you up! Even if we have to make 2 trips, I'd hate to see you have to walk from there with all that extra stuff.

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
I find that, in shared kitchens, sharp knives are not.

I'll bring a few extra pots. Is there an oven, or just a stove?

I was going to put 'sharp' in 'quotes'. :D

No oven is mentioned. I think it's just propane stove(s), (and heat and light).

If in doubt about other details, call the ADK at 518-523-3441.

I plan to keep my meals simple, ..... freeze dried, oatmeal, soap.
I'm hoping to fit everything in a pack, I don't want to pull a slay.

Is there a list of all who are planning to go on this weekend?

I plan to drive up on Sun AM from the Albany area and most likely will head back on Tuesday afternoon. If anyone has a similar itinerary and wants to carpool with me I'd be glad to drive them. I have a trailblazer and can take at least two others comfortably. Is the garden inaccessible or do you think that it will be unavailable because it is the weekend? I hope to be able to park there so I don't have to hoof my gear an extra mile or two each way.

I plan to bring a filter if I can fit it in my pack but we can also boil water at night after dinner and fill our water bottles after it cools off outside. I plan on bringing primarily "just add water" foods and drinks to minimize the need for cooking as there is only one stove with four burners for twelve people. I don't recall from my previous trip if we had to pack out our trash. I'd assume we do unless we were told otherwise.

It seems like everyone is bringing their own grub, so we will as well, EXCEPT that we'll bring some xtra for Tom :p
Amy and I are travelling up from PA Saturday afternoon and crashing in Speculator for the night. We'll be up Sunday probably btwn 9 and 10 I hope.
Skidoc, i'm with you on not wanting to haul the extra mile or two. At a minimum my plan would be to get in as far as I could and drop off the gear, then park the beast and hike back to the gear. Hopefully we can get all the way to the parking lot.

I'll also bring a filter; garbage bag; and possibly a pan and stove if we think there'll be crowding issues.

Last edited:
Wow, it's going to be almost lonely Tuesday night! 4 people are leaving early, so we'll be down to 7 that night.

Trash: Pack it in, pack it out! :D

As for the stove, I hope it's one of those really tiny jet boil types of things. 4 burners doesn't sound like a lot, but I expect we'll be spread out over several hours, morning and evening. Skidoc, did that work out ok last time you were there?

If anyone wants, meet at 10:00 at the Rooster Comb parking lot, and we'll carpool, caravan or consolidate from there.

Even if there are no parking spaces in the Garden, and/or the last part of the road is impassable, we still will be able to get all of our gear and all but one person to very near the trailhead.

OK?

Tom Rankin said:
As for the stove, I hope it's one of those really tiny jet boil types of things. 4 burners doesn't sound like a lot, but I expect we'll be spread out over several hours, morning and evening. Skidoc, did that work out ok last time you were there?

We basically used the stove for boiling water as most if not all of us had dehydrated food. Even the boiled water goes pretty fast when there are 11 or 12 people using it. I think one group did make some pasta. You can cook gourmet meals if everyone is cooking together but it might be kinda tough if someone wants to use 2 -3 burners to make a meal for one or two people. If people drip and drab in from hiking hours apart maybe it would work. It takes a long time to boil water in the large pots so if the first one in puts up some water for everyone, it helps. Likewise the first up in the AM put up a couple of pots. It will be one of two "rate limiting factors" along with the most obvious. :eek:

I'll bring some liquid soap as Tom mentioned-either dish soap or Dr. Bronners, which is good for just about anything. I'll also bring my own eats-I just received an order of Mary Janes Farm organic meals from Wilderness Dining, so I'll bring those, oatmeal, trail mix, Clif Bars, maybe some dehydrated fruit. I'll bring a roll of TP.

As for the drive/meetup: T-Max and I are planning on carpooling from the Mid Hudson Valley. I think we'll probably just head up Sunday, but we haven't completely ruled out heading up Saturday or even Friday evening. I'll talk to her Sunday and we'll let Tom know what our plan is next week some time. I think it's a good idea to leave cars at the other TH and shuttle.

Matt

mcorsar said:
I'll bring some liquid soap as..... Dr. Bronners...
Ahhh. That stuff is great. Ever read the label? It washes you right through the skin, and cleanses the soul..... It washes away sins! Just wash the part of your body that sinned, and your pure again!

But you know what??? Washing your hair with it makes your hair turn gray. Yep. When I was young, I used it all the time, and now, my hair is starting to turn gray. Be careful.

Tom,
That sounds great. Amy and I will try to hit RoosterComb around 10 then.
Dory

cantdog said:
Ok, what still remains unclaimed on the wish list??

It looks like everything on the list is covered.

You can bring a couple cases of beer if you want! :D :D :D

Just toss them in the sled when Pete isn't looking! :D :D :D

Tom Rankin said:
You can bring a couple cases of beer if you want! :D :D :D

Just toss them in the sled when Pete isn't looking! :D :D :D

I'm starting to wonder if the sled will work.... Needs to be snow. Will there be enough?

I have a frame pack. It can easily take a case of beer... Not sure if my legs can, though. Volume of the stuff, not the weight is worrying me. At least teh cast-iron stuff is low volume.

I'm bringing a blonde d'achouffe, Sainte Paix, chambly noire, 1837, and some Caribou.... Some of the will make it's way in.

Trail: Haystack
Date Hiked: 3/11/06

Conditions: Minimal snow from Garden to JBL with increasing amounts thereafter. Trail broken to summit except on Little Haysack and Haystack where wind blows away all traces of footprints leaving only ice. After warm weather and rain, trail to JBL now very muddy.

This quote is from a trail condition for Saturday. Pete I think you're right about the "tough sledding" conditions. Maybe we'll get some fresh snow during the week? I was considering skiing in but doesn't look like it's in the cards.

I am going to query the folks who were at the Garden this weekend about the conditions there currently.