Peggy O'Brien Trip - Logistics

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to TWC, the next 6 days call for snow showers in the Keene Valley area. How much accumulation is anyone's guess. Sunday - Tuesday, it says we'll have partly cloudy skies with temps topping out in the upper 30's, lows in the teens.

Now, if only a long range forecast would come true for once!

Pete_Hickey said:
Ahhh. That stuff is great. Ever read the label? It washes you right through the skin, and cleanses the soul..... It washes away sins! Just wash the part of your body that sinned, and your pure again!
QUOTE]

Preach, Reverend Hickey, preach! I'll be sure to bring some Dr. Bronners. You never know when you might need to wash away some sins!

Matt

Tom Rankin said:
According to TWC, the next 6 days call for snow showers in the Keene Valley area. How much accumulation is anyone's guess. Sunday - Tuesday, it says we'll have partly cloudy skies with temps topping out in the upper 30's, lows in the teens.

From one of the folks who did Haystack on Sat 3/11
There was no snow at all on the roads or lot and, surprisingly, there were plenty of open parking spots. Have a great trip.

Well if we can't ski and sled in, we'll probably at least be able to park at the Garden. :)

Tom, do yo know if anyone will be overnight from Saturday to Sunday at Peggy O. and if not, is it possible to drop off stuff any time b4 noon?

:)

skidoc22 said:
Tom, do yo know if anyone will be overnight from Saturday to Sunday at Peggy O. and if not, is it possible to drop off stuff any time b4 noon? :)

I'm going to call them tomorrow and request the combination. At that time, I will ask them if anyone is there.

If I am in the area before noon, I plan to drop my pack at the lean-to just up from the Interior Outpost.

Pete_Hickey said:
Tom, Is the place equipped with Tibetan prayer flags, or should I bring them?

You should bring them! You should also bring a generator, laptop, satellite dish, color tv, keg, tap, and some fine Swiss chocolate.

And since it's the end of the season, maybe a couple of extra propane tanks.

BTW, everyone, there will be someone there the day we arrive. So plan on Noon or later. And the combination is:

HA! No way! I'll send it to you offline...

Pete_Hickey said:
Wasn't it around this time of year, a year or two ago, when heavy spring flooding took out the bridge, and left a group stranded at Peggy O'Brien?

It was April 3-4 of 2005. There was a group stranded at O'Brien for an extra night because they couldn't cross Orebed Brook (or Johns Brook) due to heavy rains that washed out the bridge. They eventually got across Orebed and crossed Johns Brook on the "closed" bridge near the Interior Outpost. I'll be at the warming hut near JBL this weekend and will probably see some of you on my way out Sunday. There are definitely people staying at O'Brien this weekend but surprisingly, no one is staying at Grace Camp. Have a great trip! Below is a short article that was in a local paper:

04/05/2005
Stranded rowing team returns safely from Adirondacks
CHRISTOPHER DIAKOPOULOS , The Saratogian

SARATOGA SPRINGS -- Members of the Saratoga Racing Association boys rowing team returned home safely Monday from a weekend hiking and camping trip in the Adirondacks after being forced to camp-out an extra night because a bridge washed out.
'On our way up, coach said he might not get back out of here,' Evan De Jonghe said of the trip. 'I thought he was just joking. The next morning when we woke up, someone from another group told us the bridge had been washed out.'

Coach Jason Boyce and 11 local rowers spent part of the day Sunday looking for an alternate route out of the John's Brook valley, southeast of Lake Placid in the high-peaks region of the Adirondacks. They found they were penned in by flooding streams.

New York state Park Rangers had been notified of the situation Sunday and were on hand Monday to help the two groups find a way across. By Monday, the flood waters had receded and the groups were able to ford the smaller Orebed Brook and cross a high-water suspension bridge back over John's Brook.

'After that, we had to hike back through a foot and a half of snow,' De Jonghe said. 'It was scary going over the bridge, but after that, we were home free.'

Good planning and communication by the Adirondack Mountain Club, which owns the camp the boys were staying at, seemed to have calmed parental fears Sunday. The club maintains winter hosts in areas like John's Brook Valley for exactly these sorts of situations, said AMC Executive Director Neil Woodworth.

The hosts were able to get in touch with the rangers and communicate with the groups by throwing notes wrapped around rocks across the brook. The rushing flood waters were too loud for shouted messages to be heard.

'I knew they were in good hands,' said Dennis De Jonghe, SRA co-president and father of Evan. 'But I was still apprehensive until after talking with the Adirondack Loj people.'

De Jonghe and his son see the experience the same way now.

'I am relieved to be home,' Evan De Jonghe said, 'but it was a fun experience, a good story.'

Last edited:
I've just about got my pack and other stuff together. I'm trying to decide which sleeping bag to bring. I have a 0 degree down bag and a 40 degree synthetic. Since we're sleeping in a heated building, I'm thinking I should just bring the lighter and less bulky summer bag. The only reason I can think off to bring the cold weather bag is that it would be nice to have in case the heat went out or something. Thoughts?

Matt

Matt,
I asked the same question to Tom, he's just bringing a liner I believe, he said it was like 70 in there. I'm either bringing my light synthetic or a fleece liner bag. If the heat goes out...i'll be sleeping in all my layers! :eek:

Already packed??!!! Man, I haven't even gone into my gear closet yet. :D

Dory said:
I asked the same question to Tom, he's just bringing a liner I believe, he said it was like 70 in there. I'm either bringing my light synthetic or a fleece liner bag. If the heat goes out...i'll be sleeping in all my layers!

Last Winter, the Grace Camp was quite warm, 60-70 depending on where you slept. I was not in charge of the 'thermostat'. In theory, we can set the heat as high as we want, but I think 55-60 is fine myself.

If the heat goes out, we're leaving! :eek: :D

Tom Rankin said:
You should also bring a generator, laptop, satellite dish, color tv, keg, tap, and some fine Swiss chocolate.
Unfortunately, I'm out of room. I already have a large backpack, a small one, a milk crate, and a bear canister.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/ppack.jpg

When I'm wearing it, it sticks over 2 feet abve my head. I sure as heck hope there isn't any blowdown to crawl under to get there.

And don't tell me I don't need a bear canister. I'm planning on using it as one of those ice-buckets that you keep the champaigne cold in. For the trip in, it keeps the crush-ables from being crushed.... Ever pack a bunch of tomatoes in your pack?

Oh yeah.. I only had room for a quarter keg.... sorry.

My plans

I won't arrive at the Garden until about 1:00 on Sunday so I'll miss the group start at 10:30. If anyone else is planning a later start, let me know. I'm banking on there being parking by Sunday PM.

I won't be bringing a stove but will have a freeze-dried breakfast and dinners for two so would love to share. I'll have a large pot, a small pot and skillet for cooking wherever I can get fire.

Big Slide on Monday with a loop over Yard to return.

Out Tuesday AM. ND for breakfast.

See you all soon.

teejay

I will be sleeping in my car in the Garden or Rooster Parking lots. I plan to get on the trail about 9am. Anyone want to join me?

Amy and I will be crashing at Ward's camp in Speculator Saturday night. We hope to meet the group at 10AM.