Per cent of your life out of doors.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say I spend 20+ hours a week outdoors in each season but that's an average....hiking/walking, haying, mowing the lawn, retrieving the mail (800 foot long driveway!) Some hikes take 12 hours in just one day!

Forestnome and Arghman, Dr. Phil is a dope on TV who plays a therapist....looks like he could use more time outdoors.... :p

Percent of your my life spent outdoors?

Not enough or as much as I'd like.

arghman said:
I second that! I'm 9 years TV-free (at home). Seeing TV commercials freaks me out now, too much visual stuff.

“According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube.”

:eek:

Rivet said:
“According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube.”

:eek:
An effortless way to put in time on earth waiting for one's life to come to an end. Probably also stimulating the taste buds with salt and fat. Fun.

Rivet said:

I have never bothered to have cable installed, the extent of my TV watching is one or two movies from netflix each week. Somehow, I have never felt deprived.

I think if those darn baseball players would just go on strike I could up my numbers quite a bit!

I read (not on tv),a few years ago that out of the 10 oldest people on earth that the biggest single factor in common was that they had worked outdoors a high percentage of their lives.they wern't just old they had a good quality life.Kill your tv and live longer.I was raised with no tv and never owned one untill a few years ago and watch about 1-3 hours a week on a bad week.Untill I was 23 I spent every summer outdoors and most waking hours.I still spend as much time as possible outside and am thankfull for each moment.
You get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.(GD)Look right.

I'm sure the average percentage of time spent outdoors is less than 2% for North Americans. I know people who, thanks to underground parking, never go outside in the winter.
The members of a hiking forum obviously spend a lot more outside than average.

And thanks to Pete Hickey I finally figured out how to improve my outdoor numbers. Bicycling to the ADK's should really help. Also. it's easy to rack up outdoor hours in Montreal: quaffing cold ones on a terasse on St. Denis street watching the scenery stroll by.

Maybe one way to keep track would be with a gps. Do those things keep track of how much time you have signal (outdoors) and how much time you've lost it(indoors)? Geeky enough for you?

Neil said:
I'm sure the average percentage of time spent outdoors is less than 2% for North Americans. I know people who, thanks to underground parking, never go outside in the winter.

Just remember that to come up with an AVERAGE, as well as including indoor types, it also includes outdoor types.

Neil said:
And thanks to Pete Hickey I finally figured out how to improve my outdoor numbers. Bicycling to the ADK's should really help.

Oh, it does. Looks like I'll be adding to it, as I don't think I'll have a car for Spence's gathering. I can get a ride there, but I'll have to bicycle back home.

Pete_Hickey said:
Just remember that to come up with an AVERAGE, as well as including indoor types, it also includes outdoor types.

That seems unbelievable. That means a wopping percentage of the people in North America are outside for less than 28 minutes per day. WOW.

-Shayne

get outside now!

THATS IT!
I am eating my lunch outside right now instead of reading this depressing post at my desk! :(

Once I was self employed and nearly spent everyday outdoors, all day long, then worked at night.
But then I realized I wanted to "own" things like a house so I needed to actually make some $$.
Now I need to work for the "MAN"

Jeff

This just in.
According to Nike, reading trip reports on VFTT now counts for outdoor time. Thanks Darren and Peakbagr for whatever behind the scenes negotiating you must have successfully undertaken on all our behalfs!

Neil said:
This just in.
According to Nike, reading trip reports on VFTT now counts for outdoor time. Thanks Darren and Peakbagr for whatever behind the scenes negotiating you must have successfully undertaken on all our behalfs!

Just bumped be up another 4% :rolleyes:

-Shayne