Popular Route from VT to Adirondacks Closed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw this on the news last night and started to wonder where Fort Ann was, then I realized it is the Southern ADKs and the national news only devoted 13 seconds to a dam breaching and flooding a town?? I hope the residents are OK.

Rik I did not see any reports where people were injured but there was something like thirty homes that were damaged to where they cannot be occupied until the corp of engineers inspects them. The issue for the general public is beyond the obvious the lake is mostly dried up but for the highway that impacts traffic to and from Vermont.

If you are traveling from the Rutland area US 4 you have to drive ten miles further south and go around the area, if you are aiming toward the interstate 87 in the Lake George area. For those headed to the high peaks a better route would be state hwy 22 north from Whitehall to Ticonderoga then over rte 74 to exit 28 of I-87. there are a dozen or so pics in the initial post.

US 4 : at Route 149 Fort Ann
flooding -
Comment: ROUTE 149 WEST OF FORT ANN CLOSED.
Through traffic from the south and west heading to Vermont and points north and east should use I-87 Exit 17N to Route 9 north to Route 197 to Route 4.

Through traffic heading to the west and south should continue south on Route 4 approx. 10 miles to Route 197 to Route 9 south to the I-87 Exit 17 interchange

Rte 4 can be really congested so depending on where you are going there may be better ways to get there.

Hadlock Pond

Check out this website http://www.lakehadlock.org/ for information and some very interesting photos of the damage. Many families suffered huge losses--thankfully no one was killed.

If you need to travel on Rt. 149, you should check local maps as it is possible to avoid the lengthy detour by taking back roads that go north of Hadlock Pond.

There was also an article in the Times Union this morning:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/st...TOGA&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=7/7/2005&TextPage=1

Pat T

Last edited: