Quebec Hiking: Winter chic-choc traverse?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi All,
Went to the chic-choc mountains (in the Gaspesie peninsula) last Christmas for 5 days of backcountry skiing and found it was AMAZING! I was looking at the map earlier today to find another worthy destination for this winter when a thought occured to me. I wanted to do something a bit tougher this year...I was wondering if anyone had ever done the entire chic-choc traverse in winter (using the huts, as you are not allowed to winter camp) in snowshoes?

There is a parking lot at the Mt Jacques-Cartier camping grounds, although the map is kind of cut short on the other end and there doesn't seem to be any parking lots close to or after Mt Logan. Also, there is no way to get on/over Mt Albert as there appears to be no winter trails opened. The only way to get across (from the mt Albert refuges to the le Petit Saut refuge) would be to take route 299 for a couple of km's, skipping Mt Albert entirely (what a shame!!).

Any info would be welcome!

Fish

I haven't calculated it yet, but it would probably be a 50+km trail