Recommended Backpacking Trips in Adirondacks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll chime in and agree that most of the crowds don't make it as far as the Number 4 lean-tos- most groups stay at the Blueberry or Ward Brook Lean-tos, which are much closer to the start of the herd paths (although the Number 4 lean-tos aren't that much further).

The Blueberry Lean-to is alright, it was one of the first (lean-to #3 I think) lean-tos I stayed in in the Adirondacks. I like the Ward Brook Lean-to a lot, and it was another early destination (lean-to #4) for me when I was first getting into backpacking.

The Number 4 Lean-tos are so named because they are located in what was the Santa Clara Lumber Company's Camp Number 4. Back when this was a lumber camp, there was a general store here. The residents of Corey's used to actually travel down what is now the Ward Brook Truck Trail to reach this camp to purchase food and supplies at the store, as it was much closer than Saranac Lake or Tupper Lake.

You mentioned also possible hiking in the Santanoni Range... There is one lean-to at Bradley Pond, and at least one campsite. The whole area is pretty muddy though, and doesn't make for good tenting. I've only ever seen anyone else camped in the lean-to once, I've stayed in it twice and had it to myself both times. I've also been back there other times, not to camp out, and seen groups camped nearby but the lean-to was empty. So I guess it doesn't get much use... these days, I think a lot of people just try to day hike the Santanoni Range.

Adirondack loop trail ideas

I thought I would ask this group (since I'm seeing a lot of experienced folks in this blog) for some specific ideas for a loop trail in the Adirondacks. While I have a lot of experience in Pennsylvania, I've never been to the Adirondacks, and am planning a trip in about 10 days.

Would like seclusion as a priority - the less roads/people the better. I can drive to any area, but live in Central Pennsylvania (near Wellsboro area)

I would ideally like a loop - about 35 miles (30-45 is okay).

Don't mind moderate intensity (inclines/declines) but don't "need" a heavy strenuous trail to enjoy my time.

Like views to some degree - but I go in the Fall because I love the color changes.

Any ideas for a 35-40 mile loop of moderate intensity?

Do you care about including 4000fters? (because that would change the results if you care or not.

Jay

I would ideally like a loop - about 35 miles (30-45 is okay).

I would look into doing the loop around the Seward Range in the Western High Peaks. Lengthwise, it fits your criteria (it's about 30-35 miles, I believe). Start and end in Coreys, and traverse through the Ward Brook, Cold River, and Calkins Brook areas. It will take you through some of the most remote terrain in the Adirondacks. The Cold River area is seldom visited, even in the summer- this time of year, you'll likely have it to yourself. Plus there's a lot of history to the area- there used to be lumber camps (and a couple of ranger stations) scattered throughout the region.

4000fters?

Do you care about including 4000fters? (because that would change the results if you care or not.

Jay

Not sure what 4000lfters refers to - if you are talking about elevations - I'm okay with that elevation.

Looking for loop

I would look into doing the loop around the Seward Range in the Western High Peaks. Lengthwise, it fits your criteria (it's about 30-35 miles, I believe). Start and end in Coreys, and traverse through the Ward Brook, Cold River, and Calkins Brook areas. It will take you through some of the most remote terrain in the Adirondacks. The Cold River area is seldom visited, even in the summer- this time of year, you'll likely have it to yourself. Plus there's a lot of history to the area- there used to be lumber camps (and a couple of ranger stations) scattered throughout the region.

Awesome - I will need to get out my maps and look into this loop; thank you - appreciate the help.

Not sure what 4000lfters refers to - if you are talking about elevations - I'm okay with that elevation.

Those peaks whose summit is above 4000 feet. There are 46 of them, and they tend to be popular destinations for many hikers (you get a patch for climbing all of them). Jay H asked because when most folks are asking for suggested itineraries here, including one or several of those peaks is a priority for them.

There are 4 such peaks in the Seward Range. They don't have marked trails, but they do have unmarked herdpaths. Seward or Seymour would certainly be a worthwhile destination to add to your trip if you're interested (I particularly like the views from Seymour), but you'll need to do some research in advance on the route for obvious reasons.