Rhode Island High Point - are you game?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very well. Maybe I was a bit grumpy. RI is fine. Born and raised in Wickford. It's a fine place to visit.

WhiteMTHike said:
I'm not sure if Haven Brothers exists any longer, it's been a while since I was out drinking at 2:00 AM which is the ONLY time that food tasted any good. All the rest of the stuff you mentioned still exists though.

And I can tell you from experience that the previous owner of Jerimoth Hill did indeed "pack some heat".

Not to worry. It's still safely tucked away on a side street by City Hall. Yes, even with Buddy no longer "working" next door!

forestgnome: I used to live in Warwick, and would drive occasionally through/by Wickford on my way to the beach. I always thought it was a kinda cute town!

I still like my Warwick, NY better than Warwick, RI. The hiking is definitely better on the AT and the only thing that i remember i sort of liked about my visit to my cousin city was the quaint amusement park. Is is still there? I thought the best hike in RI was the Cliff Walk on Newport, RI.

askus3 said:
I still like my Warwick, NY better than Warwick, RI. The hiking is definitely better on the AT and the only thing that i remember i sort of liked about my visit to my cousin city was the quaint amusement park. Is is still there? I thought the best hike in RI was the Cliff Walk on Newport, RI.

The skeletal remains of the amusement park (Rocky Point) are still there, sometimes the victim of arsonists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Point_Amusement_Park

BTW, for giggles, check out the link at the bottom of the wikipedia page that directs viewers to other topics related to "Rhode Island culture"! :eek: My particular favorite is a section on the "big blue bug": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Blue_Bug

Last edited:
You guys are finally talking about Rhode Island....(sniff sniff)...I'm gettin all misty.

alpinista said:
The skeletal remains of the amusement park (Rocky Point) are still there, sometimes the victim of arsonists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Point_Amusement_Park

BTW, for giggles, check out the link at the bottom of the wikipedia page that directs viewers to other topics related to "Rhode Island culture"! :eek: My particular favorite is a section on the "big blue bug": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Blue_Bug

I have memories of rocky point red chowda - all day ticket rides and seeing sepultura and ministry there in 1993......

alpinista said:

I checked this out and other things too such as Jonnycakes and Swamp Yankee. Then I thought it would be fun to see what was listed for the culture of my home state.

Sadly, it appears that there is no "New Hampshire culture"... :( :D

vegematic said:
Aawww yeah! And Clamcakes!

Of course, that's all way back in my non-vegan past.
-vegematic

No, you were safe then, too. There were never any clams in the clamcakes. They were dough-cakes.

Back on topic ... if you hike Jerimoth Hill in winter, please do not posthole!!! You will ruin it for everyone. And there is no reason for a nature call during this short hike. Sheesh.

People from all over

I summitted it a few years back, when it was harder to do (only open a few weekends a year :) ) There were people there from all over the country, including AK. It was quite an event...

Bob said:
I summitted it a few years back, when it was harder to do (only open a few weekends a year :) ) There were people there from all over the country, including AK. It was quite an event...

... and the Tibetan prayer flags were quite a nice touch. Nothing like poking a little fun at yourself.

Mark S said:
Back on topic ... if you hike Jerimoth Hill in winter, please do not posthole!!! You will ruin it for everyone. And there is no reason for a nature call during this short hike. Sheesh.

OK, I don't see a smiley..... so how much snow is there currently on Jerimoth Hill?

funkyfreddy said:
OK, I don't see a smiley..... so how much snow is there currently on Jerimoth Hill?

I would guess there isn't any snow there. It has been pouring rain around here and even deep in the woods behind my parents house which is a short drive from the HP, it is bare . . . you can safely leave the snowshoes home for this trip. :)

sli74

Does that mean I can't write my name in the snow?

Bob said:
Does that mean I can't write my name in the snow?

anything (and I mean anything) goes in RI - :cool: ;) ;)

Though, I live one town over the border in mass, I am and will always be a "rhode islander" - in fact, I still sing that catchy song that use to be on channel 10 many years ago...."the biggest little state in the union"

best part - no deposits on beer cans/bottles.

mayor buddy and the woonsocket rockets - its all good.

Although I'm also a native RIer, I've never hiked up Jerimoth Hill. I prefer the more technical challenges offered by the Central Landfill.