RMC Cabins up for Permitting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
Just got a letter from the Androscoggin Ranger District that re-issuing permits for the RMC facilities is under consideration. If you feel strongly that they should or should not continue to exist, you should submit a comment. The permit period is 20 years (what was it for AMC huts?).

Camp Dodge is also up for renewal.

Where do you send your comments to?

Who will take over if the RMC doesn't get it?

All written comments are due by June 3, 2005, in one of the following formats:

By letter – Androscoggin Ranger District, White Mountain National Forest,
300 Glen Road, Gorham, NH 03581, c/o Katherine W. Stuart, District Ranger

By FAX – (603) 466-2856, ATTN: RMC Permit Renewal, c/o Katherine W. Stuart

By email – [email protected]

On the RMC homepage you'll see a link to the relevant USFS "scoping documents" and such.

I don't know if anyone anticipates problems, but it never hurts to put in a good word for a fine organization like the RMC.

Last edited:
IMHO - please put it in good word for the huts - I know some purists might want to see them gone - but if the AMC gets them (just speculation if RMC didn't get them renewed) -- my guess is the winter use would be gone and the price would go up - again just a guess.

I highly doubt the RMC will lose the permit. I will of course write in thier behalf. They are as Waumbeck says a fine Organzation. If you have not spent a night at a RMC camp check them out I recomend Crag Camp http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/cragcamp.html at this time of year the views of King Ravine Mts Adams and Madison along with views to the North and east to the Mahousacs (SP) . are fantastic
The RMC Puts hikers over $$ does a great job on some very heavily used trails and has been involved in more than one SAR in the Presis .
I Also doubt the AMC would want them for obvious reasons .
When Is the AMC up for review? That should be intersting in light all the contorversy going on with them of late.

I was fortunate enough to have been given the opportunity to do a fill-in caretaker stint for the RMC. As one who has never stayed in a hut during personal backcountry trips, I must say it was a great experience. The RMC does seem to be a fantastic organization and they do maintain 100+ miles of trails in addition to the shelters.

BTW, RGF1, I'm reading Aron Ralston's book right now and just finished the section describing his winter "ringing of the Bells", cool avatar.