Rossignol BC

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Is my spelling right?

A while back I started a thread on this topic and now that I had the opportunity to try cc skiing, I really want to get a pair.

I used Rossignol's BC65 skiis with the BC X2 boot in the Beaverkill Valley a few weeks ago. Anyone out there have these. I like the fact that they had the "scales" on the bottom side of the ski...is that posi-traction? Real cool.

Yes, I would like to get a pair geared towards back country travel. You thoughts and opinions are always appreciated.

I like the fact that they had the "scales" on the bottom side of the ski...is that posi-traction?
No. Virtually all waxless skis have a pattern on about the center 1/3 of the ski. (There are some other forms of waxless.) That is the pattern or grip or kick zone. (Positraction is a brand of limited slip differential for cars.)

Waxless skis have a single solution for all snow conditions. This gives medium performance (kick and glide) over a wide range of conditions. (Waxless skis should be glide waxed to protect the skis and improve the glide--I use Swix F4 paste on my waxless skis.)

Waxable skis use special waxes which stick when stationary on the snow for kick and glide with little friction when moving over the snow. One needs to choose the appropriate wax to match the current snow conditions. (Usually pretty easy to do.) One can also "tune" one's skis by choosing a stickier or slipperier wax. A properly waxed ski will generally outperform a waxless ski.

I have both waxable and waxless skis. In good snow conditions (cold dry snow) I use the waxable because they ski better and in poor snow conditions (warm wet snow or very changeable snow) I use the waxless.

I have no experience with that particular ski model.

It seems to me that we have had a bunch of threads covering this ground...

Doug

I have a pair of the older waxable BC65's, which I ski with a BCX3 boot. Lately in lieu of wax I've been using Start kick tape, which is basically a kick wax substitute with an effectiveness range from around 10 below to 40 above. Very versatile. You lose a little bit of glide but save some hassle. Basically a way to make waxable skis temporarily waxless.

These are not an especially durable ski. The topsheet is really thin, and the edges can slice right through it and into the wood core; you have to mend/seal these breaches quickly or else water will get into the ski and rot it.

I like mine for the extra control the metal edges give me on touring center trails, but for genuine backcountry skiing I prefer a wider, heavier ski with a little more sidecut -- better float in deep snow and better for turning.

karhu 10 mountain?

for general White Mountain backcountry like skiing to Zealand Falls Hujt and such are the regular BC TYPE skis preferable in the northeast over the wider skis like Karhu 10 Mountain? The difference is usually in extra width and full metal edges as opposed to partial metal edges.

for general White Mountain backcountry like skiing to Zealand Falls Hujt and such are the regular BC TYPE skis preferable in the northeast over the wider skis like Karhu 10 Mountain? The difference is usually in extra width and full metal edges as opposed to partial metal edges.

The 10th mountain is more ski than you need for that trip, IMO. A basic BC touring ski would do the trick just fine I think. That said, the 10th mountain looks like a sweet and versatile ski, and if I were starting from the ground up trying to select one ski that would do the widest range of things, that would be a top candidate. It would certainly work just fine for that sort of trip, and could take you up and down mountains besides.

karhu 10 mountain?

thanks. I have the Rossignol Glade and the Fisher Blsck Spider and those have worked for me fine. i was just wondering if there is a trend to go wider...

Last edited:
Unless you want to earn turns in the Caretaker Glades, in which case a beefier ski is worth the extra weight.

Looks like it's time once again to link up with Dave's Nordic Backcountry Skiing Page. Even though it's been more than a year since the last update, you will be richly rewarded if you consult this site.

(No, I'm not Dave. And if he were actually making any money off his massive, voluntary effort to educate folks like you, I'd be demanding a royalty for all the referrals I've made here and elsewhere.)