rust on crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
damn it - I am always keen to air out the spikes after using - but this time I just f'up and forgot and now I got some rust on my spikes. I don't think it is bad enough to ruin the function of them - but want to deal it with before it gets worse

I have heard rumors from everything from olive oil to wd-40.

any advice - thanks

I really can't help much on the rusty crampons, but your sig line brought a tear to my eye -- which made my mascara run.

giggy said:
damn it - I am always keen to air out the spikes after using - but this time I just f'up and forgot and now I got some rust on my spikes. I don't think it is bad enough to ruin the function of them - but want to deal it with before it gets worse

I have heard rumors from everything from olive oil to wd-40.

any advice - thanks

rust is normal. if the sight bothers you take some wax or oil and rub it out with steel wool. I don't use wd40 beacause I'm not sure about the long-term effects of it on the plastic bots. C

Beauty marks

Rust on your crampons is like mud on your Jeep.

Its a jeep thing...If you dont get it, do the steel wool and oil thing...

Mike

Dude - Aluminum crampons' where it's at! Love mine! Rust shouldn't bother em none though.

I just wipe my rusty crampons with motor oil or 3-in-1 oil, and the rust comes off. The remaining oil residue keeps them from rusting again for a few more uses.

DougPaul said:
Aluminum corrodes too.

And isn't much good on hard water ice.

Doug

Not quite sure what you mean about hard water ice. Please explain!

I don't have a lot of rust on my crampons, and the little that's there usually gets worn off on the next use since most of the exposed (nonpainted) steel is what gets the most wear during use. Make sure you let them dry off before you store them. Don't put them away in a wet crampon bag wet or you will be guaranteed to get rust. If I remember Chem 101 correctly, rust is autocatalytic, meaning a little rust will breed more rust, so keep them clean and dry and you should be good for a while. Unless the rust is severe, I would think that you will wear them out before any rust would take a severe toll.

Jasonst said:
Not quite sure what you mean about hard water ice. Please explain!

An ice climber's term.

Ice can be formed by 2 mechanisms: liquid water that has frozen (water ice) or compressed and aged snow (alpine ice) or some combination. The history (wind, compression, temperature, water content, air content, thaw, freeze, etc) has a tremendous effect on the current state of the snow/ice.

Hard water ice=cold hard solid ice formed from liquid water. Angle may range from level to past vertical. Requires sharp crampon points hard enough to remain sharp in use (ie steel). Frequently found on NE trails.

Some other forms of ice are much softer and may not require a sharp crampon point, eg a thin ice crust over snow or packed snow.

My objection to aluminum crampons is that the points wear rapidly on hard ice and rock and are therefore not adequate for typical NE conditions which frequently include significant amounts of hard water ice and rock. Even steel needs resharpening after such use.

Doug

Last edited: