Sad News

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitemtntimber

Reaction score
Just want to share with all of you that a long time member of this group has passed away. Many if you have hiked with him and most of you have read his prolific and his informative posts. He was a personal friend and hiking companion that I will miss. Peakbagger, Dennis Pednault, died unexpectedly at his home on Gorham Hill this week, close to the mountains he loved.

Oh my that is incredibly sad. I have family in the area and we knew many people in common. Really sorry to hear this

Wow! That is a shock. Dennis was a large part of this forum and kept us up-to-date on the goings-on up north. Thank you, @whitemtntimber for letting us know.

Holy cow, I’ve never met him but I’ve read and enjoyed many of his posts. He seemed to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the White Mountains, and definitely sounded like someone you could learn something from regardless of how much you know. Not seeing his informative posts will be strange. RIP Dennis.

Very sad to hear this news, he added so much to this forum. My condolences to his friends and family, his thoughts and insights will be greatly missed

Sad news! I never hiked with Dennis, but I talked to him every year at Pat and Audrey's pot luck in Lexington MA. He used to make the trip down every year. Very nice guy with a HUGE knowledge of the White Mountains and more. RIP Dennis. You will be missed!

Very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. He added so much to this forum, with the detailed posts about so many issues regarding the land and society.
Incidentally when I joined here a year and a half ago, I also join the WhiteBlaze.net AT forum. Guess who was an active contributor over there? peakbagger, with posts going back at least a decade that I noticed. Never met him in person.

Wow! I had no idea his health was failing. Dennis will be missed for sure since he was probably the person who posted the most in the forum to engage conversations. I met him by accident on a peak when I was in Baxter and found him to be informative, charming and passionate about our beloved mountains.

I think he considered this group his extended family, and that's why he worked so hard to keep VFTT alive.

He was a presence here for over 25 years, and an authoritative source of North country information and north-of-the-notches perspective. As a moderator he proved himself to be fair and firm, keeping us all on topic and cordial.

In the early days --when twice yearly group gatherings were the norm-- he always made the sauce for the Saturday night spaghetti dinner. I can still see him working at his Coleman stove stirring the huge pot.

It's more than ironic that Berlin's Burgess BioPower plant filed for bankruptcy the same week he passed. I'm sure he would have had some thoughts to share with us about that situation!

How excited he was to win that lottery slot for his trip out west. Sadly he did not get to experience the long retirement he hoped to fill with hiking and travel.

It was a pleasure to know him and and to hike with him. VFTT is poorer for his passing. Farewell old friend and thanks. You live on in our collective memory.

Chris Brown

Last edited:
Very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends. He added so much to this forum, with the detailed posts about so many issues regarding the land and society.
Incidentally when I joined here a year and a half ago, I also join the WhiteBlaze.net AT forum. Guess who was an active contributor over there? peakbagger, with posts going back at least a decade that I noticed. Never met him in person.
I did not know that. I would have followed more closely if I had realized. Still trying to wrap my head around this. He provided so much knowledge on so many things. Going to be a huge void going forward....

That's too bad, I read all his post with great interest. He was very knowledgeable and I loved his North Country updates of all the important goings on. He will be missed, I've been on here since 2003, so I got used to seeing him here. RIP.