Sad News

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only know him from his good advice via VFTT messaging and from potlucks years ago at Pat and Audrey's, but he definitely was very positive presence in this community for many years. He will be missed.

Since peakbagger's name was given here in this thread, I put it into the Views search. A total of three posts come up (aside from this thread), all trip reports from 2014 posted by BIGEarl, each with a link to a set of photos. I'm pretty sure that I had once read the Owls Head report, as I have a memory of reading about a bushwhack from the summit down the east side towards Franconia Brook, an unusual 'whack.

Here's a wonderful portrait, capturing Dennis / peakbagger out on the trail, looking really happy. It's the 3rd photo from the Adams and Madison set, linked here: https://bigearlshots.smugmug.com/Hiking/Adams-Madison-042514/i-ctdNRM9/A

peakbagger 2014 - IMG_6537.jpg

Last edited:
My condolences to his family and those on this list who were close to him.

8,639 posts on Views! 365 * 25 = 9,125. Close to a post a day, every day, for a quarter century!

Sometimes peakbagger would start a thread just to get people to write something, which was always amusing. He would start some thread about the weather, or if he should change the batteries in some device, or whatever it was. We all knew what he was doing, and I suppose we all appreciated it.

I once took a screenshot when he initiated every thread on the first page:

Peakbagger.png

May peakbagger rest in peace!

Brian

Last edited:
I met Dennis last summer at Rangeley Lake State Park in Maine for a week long Appalachian Trail volunteer 'Boundary Maintenance' project for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. I was the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association (ALDHA) rep and was taking a week off of finishing my section hike of the AT and Peakbagger and I hit it off immediately. Kindred spirits kind of thing.

The crew leaders operated three teams and Dennis and I worked on the same crew all week. Peakbagger was amazing to be with in the woods, I appreciated his wealth of knowledge and experiences he willingly shared. He carried a Swedish Toothpick which was about 25#'s of a brush clearing tool he kept razor sharp and swang it tirelessly and effortlessly all day long.

He took me aside back in camp one night and gave me his personal cell phone # and told me quietly, "If YOU need help, call me and I will come get you." He lived in the White Mountains 5 hours away but he made sure I knew I could count on him if things turned south for me on the rest of my hike.

Since we met, we emailed weekly keeping each other informed about our new hiking adventures, the Solar Eclipse, snowshoeing on the monorails, etc and he introduced me to this forum as well as Whiteblaze where I did manage to post a notice about his passing.

He invited me to take one of the slots for his Wonderland Mt Rainier hike but my work schedule would not allow me to train so after a week of soul searching I gave up my slot and we both were disappointed that we would not be hiking together.

"I'll see you up the Trail good buddy"

Dennis 'Peakbagger' Pednault, "Cheerful in all weathers, never shirked a task, splendid behavior."

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_084301.jpg
    IMG_20230712_084301.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 7
This is really terrible news to return from vacation to.

What a bummer.

My condolences to his family and personal friends on this website.

I was always struck by his kind tone / manner when he corrected an error in one of my posts or stated an opinion that opposed what I had posted.

His wealth of knowledge of inside baseball North of the Notches will be especially missed.

Just very sad.

I hiked with Dennis P a handful of times with 4 Seasons Hiking Group and Random Group of Hikers. Never made the connection to Peakbagger on this site.
He was always interesting, and knew everything about every mountain and trail. Sorry for his family.

Still hoping for an obituary, notice of service, etc. I would like to write to his family.
Peakbaggerbro here. I am his brother.

I wrote one post to introduce myself and state celebration is being planned.

I know some have seen it by the likes.

Did I post Correctly? Do I need to create a thread before posting? I don't know.

Any guidance on how to post would be appreciated?

I would rather communicate directly rather via the administrator

Did I post Correctly? Do I need to create a thread before posting? I don't know.

Yes, you've posted correctly. If the celebration is to be open to the public, you could post the information on this thread or create a new one. If it's not going to be open to the public, but you would like to invite members of this forum, you could ask those interested to send you a private message (PM).

My condolences to you, your family, and all those mourning Dennis. I did not know him personally, but I so valued his contributions, knowledge, and especially his updates on what was happening in the North Country that might have an affect on the mountains we love and/or access to them.

I am the brother of peakbagger posting as peakbaggerbro

I'm am a new member. I learning the ropes to post here.

Planning for a celebration of life is in progress and will be held in gorham nh. The date has not been set. It will probably be held on a Friday afternoon in early September after labor day

Would anybody here be interested in attending?

I think he considered this group his extended family, and that's why he worked so hard to keep VFTT alive.

He was a presence here for over 25 years, and an authoritative source of North country information and north-of-the-notches perspective. As a moderator he proved himself to be fair and firm, keeping us all on topic and cordial.

In the early days --when twice yearly group gatherings were the norm-- he always made the sauce for the Saturday night spaghetti dinner. I can still see him working at his Coleman stove stirring the huge pot.

It's more than ironic that Berlin's Burgess BioPower plant filed for bankruptcy the same week he passed. I'm sure he would have had some thoughts to share with us about that situation!

How excited he was to win that lottery slot for his trip out west. Sadly he did not get to experience the long retirement he hoped to fill with hiking and travel.

It was a pleasure to know him and and to hike with him. VFTT is poorer for his passing. Farewell old friend and thanks. You live on in our collective memory.

Chris Brown

sorry to hear this. From what I understand,he was still very active and still hiking up until his passing. Is this correct?

Thank you for checking in Gerard, I was hoping for a notice of memorial services as well. I will look for your mentioned post.

I am the brother of peakbagger posting as peakbaggerbro

I'm am a new member. I learning the ropes to post here.

Planning for a celebration of life is in progress and will be held in gorham nh. The date has not been set. It will probably be held on a Friday afternoon in early September after labor day

Would anybody here be interested in attending?
Definitely will be there in Gorham for the service. Thanks for posting and awesome job resolving his Wonderland Trail/Mt Rainier hike.

Latest posts