San Deigo area dayhike ideas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
OK, Shamie and I are going to be going out to San Deigo on vacation. There's a lot of things that we want to do in a very short span of time. Basically, I've got one trail day out there. What I'm looking for is something that will offer a lot of bang for the buck. Great views, interesting scenery, but without the effort required getting me into too much trouble and not an 8hr hike. Think average 3Ker difficulty. I was thinking perhaps something in Joshua Tree but, I really don't know.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

(Double Bow, I confess that I do not know your gender, or Shamie's for that matter. But if you are male, the number one thing to see in San Diego is babes.)

Now that that is out of the way, I recommend Mount Woodson. I went there on a business trip to SD about 20 years ago. It's a popular bouldering area, and an easy walk featuring numerous interesting and odd shaped boulders. It's also close to town.

Because my sons live there, I've been out to San Diego a dozen times in the last 5 years and have spent a fair bit of time hiking in the vicinity.

I agree that Woodson Peak is a fun hike, with the added benefit of its being a short drive from downtown. Just beware of all the antennas and dishes on top.

I highly recommend climbing Cuyamaca Peak, near Julian. It'll take a bit more than an hour to get there, but the area is pristine and the views phenomenal. I'd say it's no more than a 2.5 mile hike to the top. Despite its relative closeness to the ocean, if I recall correctly Cuyamaca Peak is higher than Mt. Washington, though still within the treeline. Don't miss the vast area of grinding holes in the bedrock formed by the Cuyamaca tribe thousands of years ago.

NOTE: signs at the start of the trail warn against hiking solo due to mountain lion danger. I ignored the warning and had no incidents. However, there's a nice teak bench on the trail about halfway up that I rested on on my way down. It was only after I got home that I learned the bench was placed there as a memorial to a woman who was killed by a mountain lion a few years earlier in that very spot!

Joshua Tree is a whole different story, and you can get plenty of information about it online. I loved it there, and would recommend climbing Ryan Mountain - only about a 3 hour round trip but with fantastic views. Be aware, though, that Joshua Tree is a pretty long drive from San Diego (though very scenic) - if I remember correctly it's probably about 4 hours.

Sleeping Giant said:
I loved it there, and would recommend climbing Ryan Mountain

I would recommend it too (for the name) even though I know nothing about it. :p

Mount San Jacinto in Palm Springs has a tram that goes most of the way up but there's plenty of trails around: http://www.pstramway.com/things/hiking-detail.html That would be closer than Joshua Tree (I think)

A trip that might not require more than a couple hours would be Torrey Pines State Park right in San Diego. I've heard great things about that place.

Gator said:
A trip that might not require more than a couple hours would be Torrey Pines State Park right in San Diego. I've heard great things about that place.

TPSP is an awesome urban/suburban park. It sits on the coast north of the city of San Diego, but still within the county, between La Jolla and Del Mar. The Torrey pine (see 2nd attached pic) is a beautiful and unique species; I believe its name has some connection to the Torreys who were involved in RMC activities here in NH in the earlier part of the 20th c., but I haven't tracked down the history. You can drive or bike into the park and hike a number of short trails to coastal outlooks or one longer loop trail that might fill up a half day. Take binocs to watch seabirds, porpoises and, depending on the time of year, whales.

Waumbek said:
The Torrey pine (see 2nd attached pic) is a beautiful and unique species; I believe its name has some connection to the Torreys who were involved in RMC activities here in NH in the earlier part of the 20th c., but I haven't tracked down the history.
the Torrey pine is named after botanist John Torrey (1796-1873).

one of these days I have got to get out west again. :(

Just came back from another week in San Diego, and this time I discovered Anzo Borrego Desert State Park, about two hours northeast of the city. Hiked up a few of the canyons there to oasis-like stands of giant palm trees. The terrain is nasty rocks and cacti. There are peaks standing about 3,000 feet above the canyons, and someone more intrepid than me could bushwhack (actually it's just rock-whacking) their way to the top. Saw several bighorn sheep there, no people, and one rattlesnake.

The drive there isn't bad either. Unbeknownst to you, you're on a sort of mesa at the same level as the Cuyamaca mountains, then all of a sudden you reach a crest and look down a good vertical mile to the desert below, to the east.

P.S. Bring water.