Sarah's 48th: Moosilauke 6/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sherpa John

We all know of the many stories that come from our beloved mountains of New Hampshire. Most we hear of are epic tails of survival or death. But today, it's a story of victory, inspiration and determination.

We all met at the Ravine Lodge parking area at 8:45 Am. Present were: Arm, his buddy Steve, Bob and Geri, their friends Joel and Heather, Jim Lombard and his nephew, MEB, George Fitch was all ready on his way up the mountain, Charles Dona, Sarah, Her father George, Her Brother in law Lenny and myself.

We left the parking lot at 9:15 and headed up the Gorge Brook trail. Before leaving the turn around, we stopped to take a picture of the most ridiculous yet, funny sign we had ever seen pertaining to No Parking. After we all acquainted ourselves and had our 1st laugh of the day, we were on our way.

The Gorge Brook trail is a rather moderate trail with many sweeping switchbacks complete with wonderful mountain vistas. Too bad the HAze and morning fog obstructed our views. As we reached the junction with Gorge Brook and Snapper trail, there was a red balloon flying from the sign. George fitch had left it as he was carrying a helium tank up the mountain and filling balloons as he went. :) We made Sarah strap it to her pack and we continued on.

Along Gorge Brook, Charles Dona and I decided to test the waters. I went in up to my waist as it got rather painful from the chill, Charles went all the way under... in two places. Crazy fool! I thought I was nuts!

All along the trail we stopped to attach balloons to Sarah's pack. Near the summit she had 20 ballons flying from her pack. You could see her coming for quite a ways and even better. As we came to treeline, you could see a big red dot on the summit of the Moose, as George Fitch was flying a big bunch on the summit.

I ran to the summit with Hikerfast (he caught up to us), and we hung out the sherpa Flags. The gang below made tradition and put Sarah to the Back so everyone else could summit first.ALbee had ran up from Gorge brook with a friend. It was like an inauguration of sorts. And finally after 2 years 11 Months and 7 Days... Sarah Chretien... PeakBagger... Summited Mighty Mount Moosilauke as her 48th New Hampshire Four Thousand Footer.

It was very hard for me to hold in my tears as she summited. What a victory it was today for Miss Sarah. I later found out it was hard for her to hold in as well. Especially when I told her that our friends from VFTT, with assistance from McRat... had raised over $600 towards our efforts in fighting Diabetes. Jim Lombard presented us with a cartoon he had drawn depicted our adventures. What an artist he is! I gave Sarah an autographed copy of 48 that said, "To my hero" and her 4000 Patch. And of course... there was George Fitch, who not only carried a helium tank to the summit, but Ice Cream in his pack that we all enjoyed and even shared with some boy scouts.

After pictures, champagne and many a story.. we let the balloons fly (I sent them up with George Fitchs Caribiner :D opps) and then we made our way over to the South peak for another peakbag of the Y-Alpine List. We took more pictures and felt the wind change as clouds towered over us from the west. It was time to boogie and we all descnded the Carriage Rd and Snapper trail. A Wonderful loop to hike and one we will soon do again.

After reaching the car, most of us went to the Cannon Mountain Tramway parking area where we had a picnic. My mom met us with burgers, dogs and chicken. Hikerfast bought $60 worth of shrimp, Bob and geri cooked burgers and dogs.. and Michael J showed up with TONS of Ben and Jerry's ICe Cream in a cool with Dry Ice. Towards the end of the BBQ, Steve Smith showed up to extend his congradulations as did Hiker Ed Hawkins. Not sure many can say they had those two show up for their 48th celebration.

It was truly a wonderful day for all. A victory for sarah and a victory for diabetes as well. Sarah struggled this day with her diabetes... at the beginning of the hiker her Blood Sugar was at 417... syrup. AT the summit... 74.. Water. The struggles she endured were present.. yet.. her courage shined through and she continued to the top as she had all 48 other white mountain peaks. Her journey is just beginnig.. and she contiues to inspire and motivate some if not most of us... but especially me.

Congrats Sarah... I Love you

Sherpa John

Thanks to everyone who join us! We had a blast!
Picture Page 1
Picture Page 2

Last edited:
Great trip report and pics! It was a special day that we were glad we were able to share in as well as a perfect event to introduce our friends Heather & Joel to VFTT. We all came away with special memories.

Our pics from the hike Saturday are posted on our web page here:

http://rbhayes.net/sarah.html

We will be adding the text tonight.

Way to go Sarah!!! I'm glad that I was able to join you and everyone else.....and what a treat to have ice cream on the summit...thank you George!!

-MEB

Congratulations Sarah !!! The Moose is a wonderful mountain to finish on and I am glad to see that all had a good time. Now, what I want to know is how in the world could anyone carry up ice cream in these temps? Or was it just cream by the top?

sli74

Congrats to Sarah! Great job!

Sounds like a great time with some fun people. Wish I could have made it.

Congrats! I'm sorry I couldn't have made the hike, but I'm glad I was able to join the celebration afterwards.

And continue my track record of driving home from anywhere north of Mass. in the pouring rain... you did well to miss that on the hike! :)

Stirring

It was very stirring at the beginning of the hike when Sarah was struggling and her blood sugar was "417??" Yet she continued on despite the heat and a BSL so high. It was great to see her reach the summit. Congratulations to you Sarah, I was glad to be a part of this day. I'll add some pictures later today.

Thanks to George Fitch for the ice cream, it was nice to meet you finally.

And SherpaJ, thanks for the invitation, nice to see old VFTT friends and meet new ones.

Congratulations to Sarah and all her supporters. Hiking (or just living) with diabetes can be quite a challenge.

I am sure I am misinterpreting this, right?
Sherpa John said:
After pictures, champagne and many a story.. we let the balloons fly . . .
Anyway, well done Sarah.

Status
Not open for further replies.