Satellite Imagery

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
Google is trying out a new mapping service (maps.google.com) and they've added satellite imagery to their lineup. What makes this apply to the backcountry is the fact that you can now get fantastic imagery of the mountain ranges where we hike. For example, Mount Washington.

Try it out. Feature-wise, there's still a lot missing, but the image quality is wonderful. I've already traced several of my favorite bike paths through the woods, checked out ski areas, and enjoyed how the imagery is shot at different times of the year so in at least one place a lake is frozen on the right and summery with boats on the left.

Image resolution varies depending on location - you can zoom into incredible detail in the Boston area, but in northern NH not quite as far.

Trés cool. And free.

MichaelJ said:
Image resolution varies depending on location - you can zoom into incredible detail in the Boston area, but in northern NH not quite as far.

Trés cool. And free.
Interesting. I was able to make out, quite distinctly, the slides and scars on Mt. Lowell. However, I wanted to see into Crystal Ravine (on Hancock) and I could not :(

It's neat but it doesn't (yet) beat the detailed GIS images.

-Dr. Wu