Satellite phones

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I know some of you, I believe I've read some Denali trips from Frodo, who have rented satellite phones per week basis.
Any ideas which ones are better than any other. I've seen different prices from $39/week to $300/week.

GlobalStar$, Iridium $$, Inmarsat $$$

My friend's mom is kind of worried about our trip to Wrangell so to appease the hiking gods, I am looking into these jobbers....

Any opinions, recommendations would be appreciated. I presume REI doesn't rent these things, do they, I know we have to stop by the REI in anchorage to pick up food and fuel. Does anybody know a place in Anchorage to recommend? I'm going to google it now..

Jay

Last edited:
I just rented one for my trip to Ecuador but haven't received it yet. From what I have read, some phones don't have complete "global" coverage. I believe that the Iridium does, and good luck if you can find one available for 39.99 / wk. I reserved one back in April and *just* got an email stating that"...sorry, we don't have any phones available" So much for being prepared! I found one here and the guy on the phone was very helpful and spoke English!! (his name was Christopher) I obvoiusly don't yet have any experience with the phone yet but I was able to get the 39.99 / wk model. I think some features that make the phones more costly is that some are smaller and lighter weight. Good luck

Well, I saw some Iridium ones for $80/week. Globalstar was the one I saw for $39/wk and looking at their coverage map, it's hard to determine exactly, but it's in the spotty range, it looks like globalstar is mostly continental US and other parts of N. America.

Jay

The 9505 is the pricier one since it's newer and lighter. You should be able to get a 9500 for 39.99/wk at the site I recommended. Iridiums are guaranteed to work everywhere.

Thanks Jason, I rented a Kyocera there (gotta save those ounces) for 2 weeks at the $80 rate. That's not a bad price, I was thinking these things would rent for $100+ per week or something like that... I will have it from Wrangell and not for rainier. Cool, now I wonder if pizza places will deliver to lat/long or UTM coordinates?

jay