Setting up tents on frozen ground/rock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I guess I've been lucky so far, I've been able to hammer the pegs into the ground or the snow and they've held. I'm going out this weekend and am concerned the ground will be too solid and that there isn't enough snow to go that route.

Anyone have any tricks ?

instead of using stakes, get some rocks, logs, etc, and tie your tent to them. Use as many as you can. It's amazing how well this can hold a tent down, even if it is very windy. This is what is typically done when setting up a tent on bedrock.

(If in the NE) Not enough snow, this year? :)

You can also use pegs as deadmen--tie the cord to the center and bury them or pile rocks on them. Did this once on a flat surface--just laid the stake on the flat ground, piled snow on top of it, and waited for the snow to set up.

Doug

Long (8"+) nails work well in frozen ground. I never use them backpacking. For backpacking on frozen ground I'll use rocks, trees, deadman, sleeping partners or some such handy at the moment tie down.

I find that in frozen ground conditions choice of site is very determined by available tie downs and improvised staking material.

DougPaul said:
(If in the NE) Not enough snow, this year? :)
Doug

Not yet ! Darn stuff keeps melting between storms down here, so there has never been all that much on the ground.

I'm camping saturday night and plan to try a few of the suggestions on the tent to see what holds - before it's critical.
Thanks to all for the help.

You might also try using nylon stuff sacks as anchors, stuffed with something suitably dense from the campsite, with cord ties attached for tying or clipping into your tent's stake loops and/or tie-outs. If there's enough snow or rocks or loose sand on scene, this will work. You'll probably need to compact any snow in the bags to get it packed dense enough. (There are even commercially available bags for this, but you can use modified stuff sacks as well.)

has anyone used msr snow stakes? i've had the same problem with not getting stakes to stick, and it's not always easy to find rocks in the winter (2+ feet of snow). i want to know if snow stakes work, they look beefier than other stakes, and there are holes in them to help snow and ice solidify to make them extra secure. check 'em out:
http://www.prolitegear.com/pl_msr_blizzard.html

luke

those "snow pickets" they have look like something you could pick up and cut to length at Home Depot, cheap.

msr_snow_picket_rg.jpg

Those MSR stakes look a lot like the SMC snow stakes:

http://www.smcgear.net/products.asp?cat=4&pid=58

I've used both lengths, they bend if they hit rock or frozen ground. In deep powdery snow they can be difficult, though it is possible to freeze them in place. They work well in dense snow or snow that will consolidate and set. Good stake for spring snow.

Stuff sacks, snow parachutes, deli bags do well in deep snow, but I find them a bear to adjust and remove. My favorite for deep powdery snow is to situate near blow down, cut/break 2-3' long sturdy stakes and use those.

Chip said:
those "snow pickets" they have look like something you could pick up and cut to length at Home Depot, cheap.

msr_snow_picket_rg.jpg

Snow pickets are intended for use as a roped snow climbing anchor. Generally overkill and rather heavy for a tent anchor--typically ~2 ft long. (But if you just happen to have some along...)

Many have been home made. The ones in the picture are made from T stock. Pickets made from L stock are easier to stack, but may not be as strong as T stock.

Doug