Sewards: Ward Brook or Calkins Brook?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNAgent

Reaction score
We are planning a trip over Memorial Day to climb the Sewards and would like to know if the Calkins Brook approach is truly the preferred route now over the Ward Brook approach. We do not need to climb Seymour, only Seward, Donaldson, and Emmons. I climbed them before from Ward Brook and both the trail from the trailhead to the lean-to and the path from the trail to Seward summit were pretty bad, so I'd love to go via Calkins Brook this time if it is truly better. The plan is to backpack in to a campsite one day, climb S, D, and E the next, and hike out the third. No backpacking over peaks. Is the path described in a guide book somewhere? Where can one make camp? Where does the path hit the ridge--between S and D or between D and E? Any other advice or things we should know about this route?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I expect in May you'll find plenty of good black mud, but last August the Calkins Brook route was beautiful, with just some blowdowns to negotiate. It ends just below the Donaldson summit, which we missed on the way to Emmons - it's on the left.

We had planned to backpack but the weather went sour. There are campsites along Calkins Brook, I'm told. After you turn left off the tote road, walk along the left side of Calkins Brook and do not cross to the right side when the herd path crosses. Stay straight for a short distance and you will reach the campsites. The summit path between Donaldson and Emmons will also be pretty oozy. If you search the website under "Calkins" you ought to find more info.

I've never been up there earlier in the year than July 25th, so I can't say how muddy it's likely to be for you, but it seems to me that the Calkins Brook route itself shouldn't be any worse for the mud; the ridge path is where you'll suffer. I suppose there could be a problem simply crossing Calkins Brook. If necessary you could probably bushwhack after crossing the brook on the bridge along the truck road (there must be one, although I've never gone that far). The herd path is at the base of one of the drops along the truck road; as the road curves right, the herd path leaves left.

Also, unless you're extremely slow, I don't see how you can possibly spread this trip out over three days. I think Harry K and I did Donaldson, Emmons, and Seward in 10-11 hours back in 2001. Granted that was September, not May, but it was miserably hot and muggy that day, so we weren't exactly jogging, and our time wasn't particularly fast, either. Plus, we went down the Ward Brook route, so it was longer than retracing our steps to Calkins Brook.

On the other hand, if you did it in a day, I suppose you'd have to spend the night before and the night of the hike in a motel, so you can save some money (and sacrifice some comfort) by camping. When Susan and I climbed Seward for her 45th a couple years ago, we stayed in Lake Placid, but there are motels in Tupper Lake too, if not as many decent places to eat. The drive from Lake Placid was only about 45 minutes, I believe.

Anyway, the Calkins Brook route intersects the ridge a short distance north of the summit of Mount Donaldson. I predict that someone will claim that it's only a minute from there to the top, but it isn't really THAT close. At least five (minutes), I'd say. Maybe ten. It depends upon how quickly you can climb steep, slick rock. The summit is up on a big rock to the left of the herd path. In 2003 there was a trail marker in a tree with "Donaldson" written on it, but the wooden sign that had been there in 2001 was gone.

There's a good-sized blowdown section pretty close to the ridge. You won't want to try to maneuver full backpacks through there. I think I've read on more than one occasion on this Web site that the blowdown begins around 3500 feet elevation, but I don't recall what my own wristwatch altimeter indicated, aside from my not trusting its accuracy anyway. On the descent, right after you leave the blowdown and cross a stream, keep an eagle eye on the herd path. On both of my descents I've veered off to the right somehow and lost it and had to retrace my steps to locate the correct path.

There are also some notes on Adirondack Journey's Web site.

Last edited:
Audrey and Raymond,
thanks very much for the info. It sounds like Calkins Brook is the way to go. I agree it's spreading the trip a lot to backpack and stay 2 nights, but we are driving from Syracuse the first day, and we have the ADK 46R dinner the last day (I finished in 2004 on Allen!), so we need to have quick hikes in and out. Plus if the weather's nice I'd much have an Adirondack wilderness experience at a backcountry campsite than stay at a hotel. We'll be at a hotel the next two nights anyway so we might as well enjoy as much time in the woods as we can.

I read the Calkins Brook info on Adirondack Journey and also searched a few old threads about Calkins Brook. We'll figure on going that route unless bad weather convinces us to stay in a hotel or try for one of the lean-tos along Ward Brook. Thanks again for your advice.