Shelter Etiquette 101

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you do when other hikers have taken over the shelter?

• I politely ask if they could move over.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I turn the cheek the other way and keep hiking until I find a spot to camp.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I educate them on the proper manners in this situation and move on.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I educate them on the proper manners in this situation and make a scene until they move over.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I raid their Beer stash, leave the empties, and go camp else where.

Votes: 13 14.9%

• Total voters
I'm glad not everyone hangs on the DEC's word on this issue.....:eek:
+1
I don't think any of us here agrees with the DEC's policy, but it's really something they can't enforce even if were a policy... I mean, could someone really see themselves trying to tell a person who does not want to share their lean-to that "the DEC policy says that you have to share"? If this person is nice enough to not share the lean-to I'm sure they would really be impressed by what this "DEC" has to say... and if they don't, what are you going to do... take down their description and send it to the DEC... "yeah, the guy had an MSR Whisperlite stove, green sleeping bag... and I think his name was Joe. Oh, and his backpack was an Osprey and he had blue shorts."

I guess some higher use areas where you might have a ranger around could pull that off, but in the regular backcountry... well, it's like life - some people are nice and some are a**holes... and you just roll with it as it comes.

disclaimer: In most my experiences people have been nice... I can't remember a bad one yet.