Shickshock Mountains - Quebec?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrz200

Reaction score
in this month's Nat'l Geographic Adventure, there is a short article on a guy who is in the middle of a 7,700 mi trek which joins most of the major trails in North America. I'm not sure at what point in his journey the interview took place, but the question was asked what his favorite part of the trip was. The Shickshock mountains in northeastern Quebec.

anybody spent any time in this region?

I never heard of the area and have had zero success finding any photos or trip reports. It is in far eastern Quebec, about 14 hrs from Boston.

If you are googling for info on it, spell it correctly: Chic-Chocs. You might also search on the Gaspe peninsula. Tremendous alpine scenery on relatively low (under 4,000') mtns. Great bc skiing.

I've been to the Gaspe Peninsula and it is a fantastic spot. Never hiked the Chic-Chocs but I plan too. I've heard marvelous things about it, people rave about the bc skiing.

-Shayne

Skied in the Chic-Chocs this past season (March). Lovely area. Here's the URL for the park system:

http://www.sepaq.com/En/index.cfm

Follow the link (at the top of the page) to the Chic-Chocs.

You can order a decent trail map for about $7.

There's an information center a mile up the road from the Gite du Mont Albert; the folks there were very helpful re: the various ski routes we were considering.

Also met and chatted with a couple of ski rangers while in the back-country. Great fellows.

Feel free to send me PM if you have specific questions. Don't know that I'll be able to answer them, but....

Last edited:
I've been up there on 4 occasions. Late june-mid august is the most crowded time, though its not until late june that the entire park is open(mt. cartier opens june 24). Pets are not allowed and camping can only be done at the 3 public sites+the various huts. This applies to the national park area...beyond it theres several reserves which probably have different rules, though most of the mountains are located in the park
Personally I like early june best for two reasons:
-very few people on the trails(two climbs saw noone)
-warm days(but not too hot), yet still heavy snowfields...a nice early summer contrast
Theres also a 4 star hotel and restaurant centrally located near the parks office and campground.
Late summer and early fall is also a nice time because everything is still open, theres usually less rain at this time and less crowds. The park in reality only has a few individual trails that most people hike, most of the park is setup so that one trail goes to several mountains. This becomes a problem in peak tourist times when half of montreal heads up that way.
Its actually kind of funny, the campground had one mens toilet to share between probably a hundred campers. And since the area is culturally french women dont have a problem going and using the mens bathroom. Which

shocked my father quite a bit.....
I should mention theres also group cabins to rent, the gulf of saint lawrence is located only 20 miles by crow flies so you can see it from the mountain tops and visit it if you have a hot day or just want some sight seeing.
I've found that if its clear and sunny there in the summer it can get brutally hot, the actual temperature is probably only around 80 but for some reason theres a very strong sun, in addition the trees/treeline is low so for most of the hikes the suns on you. On the other side of this summer nights in the park seem to almost always be in the 30's and 40's and rainy/cloudy days are almost always cold as humidity is non existent there.
I believe the park has the latest snowfields anywhere east of the mississippi or in the appalacians. In fact one day in june was too cold to hike(summits below freezing/sleeting high wind) and two days later it was in the 80's in the valley.

heres some photos: http://community.webshots.com/album/191491756UkIJFs

the majority of the pics are from the chic chocs and the coast (a few are PEI 2 are katahdin from I-95)

it is a beautiful place to hike - i was there twice in early july - nice time to be there (still lots of leftover snow in secluded spots) - one nice hike is from the gate that can be reached from the village of mont st. pierre - it will take you over mont jacques cartier in about 2 miles (the highest on the peninsula and 2nd highest in quebec) and if you have someone to pick you up at the other end (or you can use the park's shuttle) you can do the traverse out past lake aux americas (about 6-7 miles) - and if you like what you see, the mont albert loop is a very beautiful hike also for the next day...

The Chic Chocs are very nice and the only place I ever saw caribou. You can get fairly close to them on the trail up Jacques Cartier if you're quiet and patient. Yes, you have to stay on the trail in this part of the park due to the caribou herd that lives there.

The small sections of the IAT (International Appalachian Trail) I did were very nice. The IAT goes over Mt. Albert and through the Chic Chocs, then on through the Gaspe Pennisula to Parc Forillion. One day I hope to do the entire trail through Quebec. I really enjoyed doing the loop hike over Mt. Albert, as Ken mentions above.

If you do go up to the Gaspe make some time for Parc Forillion as well. The IAT ends there on a beautiful cliff with a light house. It's got seaside views to die for, an incredible bird population that lives in its cliff areas, and you have a very good chance of seeing whales, bear, and moose all in the same day! I also hope to do a kayak trip up there some time with some people from VFTT..... hint, hint............ :D

Last edited:
I agree with what folks are saying. Only catch with early June is the caribou closure -- there's all that snow up there in the high mountains, yet you're prohibited from going up there lest you disturb the calving caribou. If you're after skiing or snow-walking, get up there a bit earlier. (Memorial Day is too late -- due to regulations, not climate.)

Lac aux Americains is a worthwhile stroll -- a short walk if the dirt road is open from the Mont Albert side. Outside the park, the wildlife reserves offer even more interesting hiking and skiing; the IAT is a good mainline route to access these areas.

This site has some nice info on the Chic Chocs. Had I not gone to Iceland this year, the Chic Chocs were one of my planned destinations.

-Dr. Wu

Though most of the mountains havent *officially opened in early June, basically all except for cartier plateau are allowed to be hiked in.