Ski/Snowshoe boots - and winter hikers?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Western

Reaction score
OK, I'm a relative novice to the winter backcountry. I've been on a few overnight snoeshoeing trips in the Catskills and a few overnight ski tours in the Adirondacks - I ski on Karhu Pavos and have Alpina BC 1550 boots. I intend to do more trips this winter and many winters in the future - snow willing.
My issue is around footwear. I have read a lot of the other postings on plastic vs leather and they leave me wondering if I really need another pair of boots? Becuase I like to ski I usually wear my Alpinas on trips and switch off between skis and MSR snowshoes depending on the terrain. I have not tried to wear them with crampons, but don't typically ski/shoe up peaks that require them. I reckon that could change. When in camp I put on a pair of down booties. This setup has worked fine for me thus far, even down to -20 on one multi-night trip in the Adirondacks. Does anyone out there foresee a problem with this setup? Am I setting myself up for a potential problem/risk? I wouldn't want to carry a second set of boots on a ski tour would I? Any advice would be appreciated.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I was just wondering if any of you with more experience than I saw some serious risks or problems with my setup - if XYZ happened then you would be in trouble or you won't be able to go to ABC mountain in certain conditions.

Wow, I have the same combo, though I haven't gotten on any serious backcountry trips. I've done some state forests and stuff yet but nothing that requires anything other than walking. I have done 2 trips where I had to switch from snowshoe to ski and the 1550s are fine. I have not tried crampons though. Walking in the 1550s feels like to me, walking in some hightop hiking boots that are a bit stiffer in the body than my leather Montrail hiking boots. And a bit more insulated/padded.

I know Grivel makes a wide version of their G10 for ski boots and such. I agree with Barbarossa in that if it's already working for you, than you've answered your question. It never hurts to try our plastic boots so if you do have an opportunity to try one without buying one, then go for it. XYZ can happen no matter what kind of equipment you hike with. :)

Jay

Sounds like you are doing great, Western...

If you find yourself trying to fit regular crampons to a 3-pin boot, take a look at this. It's worked very well for me. As someone else said, Grivel makes a wide crampon, too.

When I'm skiing longer flat distances in order to get to a hike, I use my touring skis (and skimpy boots) and carry another pair of boots. I did that this weekend on the Crockers, in fact. A 4.5 mile ski to the trailhead made carrying better boots in the pack worth it to me. For shorter distances or more rugged terrain, I take my backcountry setup (which doesn't track as well or go as fast).

spencer

Warmth, rock durability (above treeline) and functionality. I think these are the considerations.

As others have noted, (plastic or rubber) double boots are warmer, but if a combination of socks and gaitors make your Alpina's warm enough, you're good to go.

I think boot durability is different above and below treeline. Below treeline, I wouldn't be too concerned about hiking on NNN-BC boots due to the likelihood of decent snow cover most days. Above treeline, you hop on rocks all day and my concern would be in hammering the toe bars. No experience with this though so you are in a better position to judge.

Functionality means do they fit in your crampons and skis while still being hikable? Strap on crampons will go on just about anything (75 mm nordic boots present a fit challenge which can be overcome).