Small gifts for kids who hike/backpack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Self-charging flashlights!

Not just any flashlight, though -- as someone else observed (especially with kids), the batteries are always dying or dead. We bought both our kids dynamo flashlights from Campmor last Christmas -- they're a little bigger than a small AA flashlight, with a lithium-ion backup battery and an internal dynamo. You shake them gently for 30 seconds to a minute, and you get a good strong beam of light from the LED lamp and lens.

Our kids love them (when they can lever them out of my hands) and we feel good that we're not filling up the landfill with dead alkaline batteries. Keep your eyes on Campmor, they seem to have a variety of items in and out of stock, and sometimes the prices are very good.

Camera

Not cheap, but not that expensive, one of the "all-weather"" throw-away", "use once" camera's. Then they can share the excitement of the day to there friends, and can be remembered for years to come.

Also a Compass. Stay away from whistles (believe me).

Happy Hiking...Walker

My 9 yr old son loves his LED headlamp, plus now he doesn't ask to borrow mine. He also loves my altimeter, but that's just too expensive. My 7 yr old daughter loves any stuffed animal that likes to hike, but only she can tell whether it likes to. And they change their minds sometimes. :rolleyes:

Weatherman