Smart Phones

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used a phone for navigation, but this is an interesting article about how cellphones will soon replace stand-alone gps units. Garmin is specifically mentioned as one of the companies seeing losses in sales as a result of new gps and navigational features available on mobile phones.

I just got a Droid. I have already turned to the GPS feature and Google Earth is great to surf during boring meetings:)
I absolutely plan to use it this winter. Not only will I be able to navigate, I also retain the option to dial a "yuppie 911":D

yup! just be sure to vote for cell towers on summits so we get reception to use our phone GPS systems in the woods!

i don't know about your phones, but my verizon navigator doesn't come with contour lines or mountain features.

yup! just be sure to vote for cell towers on summits so we get reception to use our phone GPS systems in the woods!

And actually, now that I think about it, if a cell phone is GPS capable, it shouldn't need cell service to tell you where you are since GPS relies on satellites. :)

And actually, now that I think about it, if a cell phone is GPS capable, it shouldn't need cell service to tell you where you are since GPS relies on satellites. :)
Some cellphone based GPSes require data from the cellphone system.

For instance, approximate initial location and satellite orbital info. Maps are also dynamically downloaded via the cellphone system. Some will function without cellphone system assistance (but may take a lot longer to establish an initial location), some may not. Cellphone GPS apps are generally oriented toward urban locations.

While cellphones may replace some of the less featureful GPSes, those who want a full featured backwoods GPS will be best served by stand-alone GPSes for the current time and near future. Can't say for the distant future.

Doug

All I need it to do now is say "Turn left at the big tree near the boulder. Proceed 0.1 miles to the summit through dense spruce." and then I won't have to put up all the flagging! ;)

I have used a GPS program on my iPhone a number of times and it's enjoyable, does quite a lot. While it does need the phone or internet to initially download the maps, once downloaded the GPS program will track on it without a problem, so long as I don't try and change the resolution. It's not a problem in the Whites, but I would never use it as a serious GPS, for that I have a standalone. The largest drawback is the battery life, on GPS mode it won't last all day, whereas my GPS has replaceable batteries.

My son uses the GPS function of his phone for street navigation, and tells me it works quite well. The downside is that it costs $10/month from his cell provider, so that before too long you've exceeded the cost of stand-alone vehicular Garmin or Tom-Tom GPS unit.

The same would apply to the purchase of a mapping GPS for trail use.

Latest posts