Snowboard boots for hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoySwkr

Reaction score
I went to the local ski&skate sale today, they had some Snocraft long-nose bearpaws laced with rawhide in mint condition for $25 or less than they cost back in 1975 when they were popular - but I never liked that style and I already have more snowshoes than I'll ever wear out.

They also had snowboard boots in good condition for as little as $10, presumably from kids who outgrew them or broke too many limbs. I told the clerk that noway was I foolish enough to try to ride a board, but at that price how did he think they would be for snow shoveling etc. He said they would keep my feet drier and warmer than most any other boot, but people wear them tight for riding and I might want a larger size than usual. Unfortunately nothing they had was a good fit.

Any snowboarders out there? I know people often walk up and ride down, but does this require the energy of a 20-something or can you reasonably walk in snowboard boots? The forward tilt may actually help hiking uphill, but how is it going down?

I do snowboard but couldn't imagine hiking any long distances in snowboard boots. The soles wouldn't provide traction like winter hiking boots. But they are warm with their liners and a regular SmartWool sock.

soft boots or hard boots.. the majority of boots are softboots aka leather.. when you see snowboarders walking at the resorts, there boots are laced tight aka ride mode, resulting in stiff leg walking.. When one is earning turns the boots are laced lightly giving more flex, yes way heavier and clumsier than hiking boots but way more agile than ski boots.. when attached to denalis for low angle hiking they work well and also work well for some crampons.. I'm on my 3rd pair of burton sabbath in the last 5 years I find new older season models.. I've also earned turns 40+ days each season in the last 5 seasons, so my boots last roughly, 2 seasons, 100 days, 500 miles, 400,000 vert. feet.. however they do suck to down hike in.. late season/down hiking season I use hiking boots to the snow line then switch my snowboard boots and hike back to car in my hiking boots..

IMO, If your looking for a cheap winter boot for shoveling and small walks it's not a bad idea if the fit is right..

They're bulky and have very poor treads, but they're comfy and they're warm. Fine for shoveling the driveway. The main reason I don't use mine for hiking is that I can't fit anything over them: microspikes, crampons, skis, snowshoes. Obviously you could adapt a snowboard binding for those applications, but I don't have the motivation. My regular boots are lighter and more comfortable, and already work with my crampons etc. In fact, I've done the opposite a few times: when I want to snowboard in the back-country, I'll snowboard in my regular boots. (Snowboarding in regular boots takes some getting used to, but that's how I learned to do it back when I couldn't afford snowboard boots.)

nartreb- getting crampons and snowshoes to fit your boot is the challenge.. I was fortunate 5 yrs. ago to go into IME in n.conway and try on a bunch of crampons to my snowboard boots at the store(they have used downstairs too) I ended up buying these http://www.rei.com/product/766573/petzl-vasak-flexlock-crampons they were new and on sale. no complaints and I'm a size 12, need to strap them tight to your boots or they will slowly loosen up... I used to use tubbs snowshoes, they'd get loose.. Last 3 years I have used msr denalis http://www.backcountry.com/msr-denali-classic-snowshoe they are great and give good traction and rarely ever get loose and you can buy the attachments for deep trail breaking, the light modular design of these snowshoes and the straps are perfect for snowboard boots.. These 2 items make hiking in snowboard boots pretty easy IMO..

Last edited: