snowpants

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp2000

Reaction score
I just started hiking alot in the cold weather back in Jan. The snow pants I have now are horrible. They are baggy and almost fall off me(they are the right size,but are = to something a kid would go sledding in).

Any suggestions. Ive heard Bean has some good stuff, and would rather not buy from EMS or REI as they always seem to have high prices.

thanks
Chad

I went out and bought a pair of EMS All-Terra pants. They're a soft shell type made with Schoeller Dryskin material. I picked them up on sale for $80. I'm very happy with them in most winter conditions (including Butt slides). On Madison in February, I found out the difference between "Wind Resistant" and "Wind Proof." I couldn't get off that mountain fast enough to put on my wind shell pants. A friend bought the REI One pants and these are a better wind blocker but don't breath as well.

If the EMS and REI stuff is too expensive, I'd go with a Marmot Precip or Red Ledge windshell over a base layer. Clip on suspenders can help if you're having problems keeping them up. Get the ones with full zips for ventilation.

Last edited:
I have a pair of softshell pants - REI Mistrals - that when coupled with gaitors and a warm under layer make excellent winter hiking pants. I got them from the clearence section of the REI website for around 50 dollars. They are well made and have served me well... I've been meaning to pick up another pair.

Oh yeah, they're fairly stylish too... on a recent hike through the Bigelows a girl scout troop decided my trail name should be "fancy pants"! :D

My experience with LL Bean gear is that they make a great product. I'm heading up to Freeport tonight and will post if I find some pants that may be of interest to you. In the meantime, check out the Mistrals.

I buy fairly cheap pants in the winter... That way I don't feel so bad when I put a crampon hole in them. Full zips for ventilation are nice too.

I have full goretex pants but rarely where them, I like the weight and function of my new MEC Hydrofoil pants. Butt sliding down Algonquin last season was a blast.

-Shayne

spaddock said:
I buy fairly cheap pants in the winter... That way I don't feel so bad when I put a crampon hole in them. Full zips for ventilation are nice too.

Yeah. I wear cheapo Campmor fullzips with duct tape on all the crampon holes.

Steve

dude know offense but your a big boy mountain climber now, they are refereed to as a shell pants, snow pants is what your mother put on you before school. :eek: Marmot makes a pant called "Precip" about 70 bucks and very good for the money, Ive sworn by Gore-Tex forever but love these pants for the money.

sierra said:
dude know offense but your a big boy mountain climber now, they are refereed to as a shell pants, snow pants is what your mother put on you before school. :eek: Marmot makes a pant called "Precip" about 70 bucks and very good for the money, Ive sworn by Gore-Tex forever but love these pants for the money.

MOM!!!!! IVE LOST MY SCARF AND MY MITTEN CLIPS.

Thanks for some of the ideas!
I plumb forgot about Campmore. Its not that Im on a budget, its just that Im a flat out miser, so thats why I was somewhat bias towards the EMS, REI products but maybe Ill look into them.

Gotta love this site.............. :D

I just bought a pair of North Face Apex pants. Very similar to the REI Mistrals I mentioned above. I got them at TNF outlet for 50 dollars. If you have an outlet store near you, you may want to check these out as well.

Good luck!

I've been using a low end EMS softshell (I think they are called Terra) that have performed great in everything from 36 degree rain to knee deep snow. The ski, snowshoe, climb, and sit well. The REI mistrals looked similar, but I got the better deal on the ems pants. I believe I just saw the Mistrals on sale.

the chugach are nice but you're really only going to use insulated pants when sitting around camp at night or if it's like super cold, -30+.

I just got an email from EMS. They have the All-Terra Softshell pants for $78 on sale. I find these pants work great for most winter conditions. Above treeline, I'd want a shell over them.