Snowshoe gait with MSR Lightning

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
First day trip with MSR Lightning Ascents. Nice, but . . .when coming down the mountain, snowshoes stepped on one another half-dozen times, fell down 3 times!

At 5-6 and 158 pounds, the MSR chart suggested the 25 for most conditions (men's). If perhaps I have a narrow walking gait, wondering if I should ignore any manhood issues and purchase the narrower women's instead? (I can take the teasing). I would be concerned with inadequate flotation since my winter day pack weighs 30 pounds.

Should I consider the woman's version or learn to walk as required with the men's Lightning? Other than that, superb traction. One snowshoe came off once.

I hear ya, I just started with the LA's and when you cross em up they lock together and your goin down. I'm going to try to adjust but I like to move fast and I'm not sure if these will be appropriate. They just stick to everything they come in contact with. Too much traction?

First day trip with MSR Lightning Ascents. Nice, but . . .when coming down the mountain, snowshoes stepped on one another half-dozen times, fell down 3 times!

At 5-6 and 158 pounds, the MSR chart suggested the 25 for most conditions (men's). If perhaps I have a narrow walking gait, wondering if I should ignore any manhood issues and purchase the narrower women's instead? (I can take the teasing). I would be concerned with inadequate flotation since my winter day pack weighs 30 pounds.

Should I consider the woman's version or learn to walk as required with the men's Lightning? Other than that, superb traction. One snowshoe came off once.

I bought these last year and experienced the same problem. I did not have the problem with the MSR Classics. I'm going to give them another try this winter see if I can get used to them. I'm sorry you're having the problem, but glad to hear it's not just my own clumsiness (well, not entirely...:))

I encountered the same problem when I first used them a couple of years ago so I filed down the perimeter teeth on the inside of each snowshoe. This has helped a lot and there is still plenty of metal around the shoe for traction.