Snowshoeing, x-c for kids near Lincoln?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gram

Reaction score
Our family is headed to Lincoln for the weekend. Grandkids are 4 and 6.

The 6 yr old was given x-c skis and has been doing pretty well with them in his back yard. With the deep snow, do you think Lincoln Woods or the Eastside trails would be tracked out by Saturday and doable for a beginnner of his age? Other suggestions? We could buy him a pass at say Bretton Woods, but not sure how long he would last.

Also, looking at the Bretton Woods website, they offer:

"Chairlift ride to the Mountain Road Trail: $10
(plus Nordic trail pass; must be on lift by 2:30pm)"

Has anyone tried this with kids - the 4 yr old would probably snowshoe down(would call to see if they allow shoes on that trail)

And, of course, we always have our old family favorite with the kids - the Flume!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Waterville? If you do not want to buy a trail pass, you need to go from Depot Camp up Livermore Road, the first 1K or so which is no longer groomed. Beyond that it is groomed, and free to the junction with Snow's Mountain at Avalanche Brook. There is plenty of up/down here for beginners or youngsters. Also, there are pile of side trails if you want to venture off the groomed trail.

http://wvaia.com/ (Waterville Valley Athletic and Improvement Association)
http://www.waterville.com/nordic/nordic-maps

Tim

That might be more of a commitment than they're ready for. I think the beginner/ski school slope lift there is always free. I'd spend some time just hacking around the lower area there and maybe take a free lift ride or 2 and see how they do.

That might be more of a commitment than they're ready for. I think the beginner/ski school slope lift there is always free. I'd spend some time just hacking around the lower area there and maybe take a free lift ride or 2 and see how they do.

Loon used to have a free tow rope / bunny slope as well. Not sure if they still do, or if any place allows XC skis there. A magic carpet is probably better with XC skis.

Tim

The 6 yr old was given x-c skis and has been doing pretty well with them in his back yard. With the deep snow, do you think Lincoln Woods or the Eastside trails would be tracked out by Saturday and doable for a beginnner of his age? Other suggestions? We could buy him a pass at say Bretton Woods, but not sure how long he would last.
Last I knew, Lincoln Woods was groomed. Both it and Eastside are heavily skied, so they are likely to be tracked if you wait a day or so after a new snowfall. LWT is an old RR bed--easy kick-and-glide. Eastside is also mostly flat but includes a few easy hills.

Also, looking at the Bretton Woods website, they offer:

IIRC, that trail is a bit like an easy downhill run. Pretty fast for a beginner.

Has anyone tried this with kids - the 4 yr old would probably snowshoe down(would call to see if they allow shoes on that trail)
A young kid on snowshoes might be at risk as the skiers whiz by--IIRC the trail wasn't very wide and had a few turns.

Loon has a small XC area. Never been there. http://www.loonmtn.com/info/winter/nordic.aspx

Doug

Last edited:
I'm confused - I thought Bretton Woods lift ride led to a snoeshoe trail down a road? From the website-

"High Country Snowshoe Trails
Enjoy self-guided, lift-serviced, mountain-top snowshoe adventures! Rentals available in the Alpine Rental Center located in the Bretton Woods Base Lodge.

Offered daily from 8am - 2pm from December 25, 2010-March 13, 2011, as weather allows.

Cost
◦Requires single ride lift ticket: $10."

Will give them a call. If there are skiiers on the trail, it's no place for us! Thanks everyone for the input.

I would definitely give the east side trail a shot (out of Lincoln Woods). I'd be 99% certain it's been tracked by snowshoes (which, for me, is pretty good skiing) until at least the wilderness boundary (~3mi in). You can go as far as you like for free.

This year is the ONLY year I've thought that maybe the Lincoln Woods Trail was groomed. For the last couple years it hasn't been. You might try that for a ways if the track hasn't been too beaten down by snowshoes.

In any case, I think skiing out from Lincoln Woods (since you're in Lincoln) would be a great idea!!!! --Becca

For snowshoeing, the best kid-friendly snowshoeing in Lincoln that's also a decent hike would be the Greeley Ponds off the Kang. You can hike to the upper pond and then decent if you want to continue to the lower one. Not sure of the parking situation there, though.

Mountain Rd not for small kids

IIRC, that trail is a bit like an easy downhill run. Pretty fast for a beginner.

A young kid on snowshoes might be at risk as the skiers whiz by--IIRC the trail wasn't very wide and had a few turns.

Loon has a small XC area. Never been there. http://www.loonmtn.com/info/winter/nordic.aspx

Doug

I concur with Doug here. It's a great long downhill for experienced XC skiers with stamina and who like to do turns, but it would be too much for 4-yr olds. That said, adults can do the mountain road, leaving one grownup with the younger kids across the street at Bretton Woods xc area.

Do the Lincoln woods trail, you won't regret it. My wife and I took our two kids there a month ago (one is 2, the other is 2 months). It's groomed/tracked and full of kids and families. It's flat and not committing, just turn around whenever you want. Some people were pulling their kiddos in sleds. We were snowshoeing (well, our two year old was taking three or four steps, then stopping to gaze in wonder at his snowshoes, then taking another half dozen steps, etc. and our two month old rode under my puffy), but plenty of people were skiing, including young kids. Very friendly place. I think they groom pretty much every day, but I'm not positive on that.