Snowshoes..spring time considerations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider solo

Reaction score
You might not want to put the snowshoes away just yet. Yesterdays hike doing the Lafayette, Lincoln, Haystack loop, I found the snow firm enough to hold my weight in the morning , but in the afternoon I was able to save miles of painful post holeing by putting on the snowshoes.
.....Travel was much quicker on the descent as you could move along with confidence and not get tangled up in the previous post holes of others.
Spring is a tough one to call and the trails become quite pocked marked as the snow 'rots'...on the ridge for example there was not enough snow to warant puting them on..sometimes you were on bare ground and sometimes ,like others before me, I had to post hole my way through short sections. However once you hit long miles of soft snow in the afternoon you can save yourself plenty of time and energy putting on the "shoes', changing tough post hole miles into "easy cruising"
.............Sanitation...
I was almost going to title the thread...."Please Don't Crap on the Trail"...
I figure most of us already know that.. so I don't know what to do on that one. Maybe we should just pin a note on the back of our packs.
Now that the snow is melting these "presents" are revealing themselves along side the trails.
I've long made apologies to friends about so many people relieving themselves along the trail and all the "yellow snow".
Trailside TP etc is really gross!
I can see if people are totally commited to barebooting their hikes, but at least they could crap in a bag and pack it out.
.....One solution...when spring conditions are "iffy" and we don't really know if we need the snowshoes 'on trail' we just carry the one pair and if someone needs them for 'calls of nature' we just take turns using them to get off trail some where discrete.
Perhaps the forest service will need to offer a madatory "pooper scooper"...??

Last edited:
spider solo,

I totally agree on the snowshoe issue. We carry so much gear all winter, I don't see carrying a pair of snowshoes into the spring as that much of a burden. I like to pack light, but snowshoes are a necessity this time of year.

Well said, and important. You're more likely to need snowshoes now than you were a month ago (on trails, that is).

As spidersolo said, rock hard in the morning but very soft later in the day.