SnowShoes - Which would you buy?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
I am going to purchase a pair of snowshoes for my son this weekend. Personally, I own a pair of sherpas (circa early 1980's) and they have always done the job for me. So here is my question: Based on personal preference, which brand and model snowshoes would you buy at this time for a 160# guy + 20# daypack? Most of our hiking is done in N.H. All replys are welcome, and thank you very much in advance!

Stu
Do a search, there were a few threads a while back, about snowshoes that were pretty long w/ lots of info.

i like the atlas yellow ones. (i forget what the series number is but they're the heavy duty mountaineering ones). the bindings can be easily adjusted withe gloves on. i've never had a problem with them. all dap to the crampons which are hella.

Ripple, yes there is a lot of good info and opinions out there! And Bruno, I'm trying to decide between tubbs and atlas because thats what they have in stock at ems right now. Would the "mid-level" type for about $150 be adequate or do I need to go up to the "mountaineering" level for about $240 ? Both have crampons and appear to be similar.... but, I don't want to buy a pair and wish later that that I had gotten him the better pair, although they can get expensive! All comments are appreciated, thanx.

Stu,

I use -ATLAS SNOWSHOES- too. Sounds like Bruno's (yellow pair) are the backcountry 12 series. I have 830's which are in the price range you state and I would bet they are the same shoe (the 800 series is red) you mention. The 800's are about $150 and the 1000's (and above) are about $220 and up.

As with any entry level / lower end product, there are limitations. I've done a bunch of local (western NY) & ADIRONDACK based hikes with my 830's over the past few years and they are adequate for most situations. However, you will notice a "lack of bite" by the lesser crampon on steeper terrain, particularly in unbroken snow on bushwhacks. I did a recent back-country bushwhack (Lewey Peak) and struggled a bit in the unbroken steep snow that was icy underneath (the last .8 miles averaged 28% grade), while one of my partners that day did fine in her Atlas 10 series shoe (the mountaineering set and next step up in price and function).

On a recent trip up Algonquin (with similar steepness in the final stretch) on a well broken trail, I had no problems. Safety has never been an issue and I don't find that it prevents travel on steep bushwhacks, you just have to work a little harder. For broken trails, when it gets steep, you can often switch out to crampons and carry on without a hickup, but if your in deep (unbroken) snow in steep terrain, that's not an attractive option. You're sorta at the mercy of the built in crampons and might want the "mountaineering" system for those situations.

So I would evaluate what you need them for and where you plan on using them. If your planning for mostly trailed travel on broken out (or lightly broken) trails in mountainous terrain and money (and budget) considerations are key, you'll likely be fine in the $150 pair (Atlas 800 series) fine for most uses. However, if you plan on some serious backcountry travel on steep terrain, annd money is not really an factor plus you want a better quality moutaineering snowshoe, spend the extra 70-100 bucks and go bigger.

Since I plan on alot more off trail, backcountry stuff, I'll be soon upgrading to the hardier shoes. I'll still keep my 830's as the are an excellent shoe in about 95% of the time. Good luck and hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi Stu,
You can rent a couple of different brands at REI to "test". I rented some Atlas 1030's but liked the Tubbs better based on the purchase price. I didn't care for the bindings on the MSR's. The price per day to rent can be expensive though but maybe they would give you credit towards a purchase (no idea if they'll do that)
Also, I recently saw some of the Yukon Charlies on the trail, and I think for a starter set this might be the way to go. Check out their website. They have a package that includes the shoes and poles (cheap ones, but still..).
Good luck,
Bill

Living in Canton I'm sure you have, but have you been to Country sports yet? I've always had good luck there with their knowledge.

To all who responded, thanks for your valued opinion, I'm on my way to EMS now. See ya!