softshell pants: mammut or wild things? or something else?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EMS Appollo Pants

I"ve had a pair of these for three years. They've held up well for general hiking, They're warm and the material is very flexible. They resist the wind well. If it rains hard they would wet thru, I'm not sure how long it would take for them to dry. They are pretty breathable.

A vote for Mammut Champ pants

I bought the Champ pants this summer for $130 from Sierra Trading Post. So far, I'd have to say they've met (or exceeded) my expectations. I've worn them boating, hiking, camping recently in the ADKs for a weekend in 30-15deg, and this past weekend skiing up and down Whiteface. I was really surprised being warm on the summit with their light weight (compared to 5 layers on top).

I like the 3 pockets with zippers (I added little pull strings to ease use with mittens on) and the cargo pocket with velcro. They seem well made with good attention to detail. So far, no complaints. I recommend them. I saw an ice climber at the High Peaks rest stop on the way up with Champs too. One plus for some folks is fit since they come in lengths (short & long) for a given waist size. I couldn't find that with other soft shell pants.

General thoughts

Have Alchemy pant from Mountain Hardwear. Like it...

General observations:

1. Gore windstopper is great, warm and highly water and wind resistant
2. Full side zips are great for venting, taking on and off much easier
3. Top of full side zip - pain in the ass. Creates lump right where hip belt connects...I need to have them zipped down a couple inches
4. Make sure pant is right size. Full zips mean no full belt...make sure you can tighten as necessary.
5. Consider Bibs if not super super thin. Pants slide down the body. Pack rides up and down. Small flap of skin can get trapped between pant and pack and get rubbed raw. Solutions include: Get a big. Try some suspenders (other issues), pull up like steve erkel every once in a while, lose weight and skin, wear a weight belt, add duck tape.

Johnnycakes said:
I fifth (or was it sixth) the Schoeller Dryskin Extreme Pants. You can't go wrong with Cloudveil, Mammut, or Marmot. There are quite a few different Schoeller fabrics. For winter use in the Northeast, I think you're best bet is Schoeller Drysking Extreme, preferably with the 3XDRY treatment. I would let the fit be your deciding factor between the different brands. I found the Cloudveil pant to fit extremely well.

The Schoeller Drysking Extreme is a double woven fabric (nylon on the outside, poly on the inside). It will offer significantly more breathability than any bonded softshell (nylon outer fabric bonded to poly inner fabric) because the bonding adhesive reduces permeability. Powershield, Alchemy, Schoeller WB400 fall into the bonded category. These bonded softshell fabrics will be more weather resistant (wind and water), but are not even close from a breathability aspect. The bonded softshells will likely cause you to overheat on the warmer winter days. With the woven softshells, you can always throw your waterproof/breathable garment on to offer more wind resistance if it is especially cold.

In my opinion, the bonded softshells are more appropriate for ice climbing, or other winter activities that might not generate as much body heat as hiking/snowshoeing. They would also be appropriate for the colder hiker.

John

Another vote for Schoeller Dryskin Extreme 3XDRY.
I own a pair of Mammut Champs, great deal at STP for only $99, I lucked out!
I also got a soft-shell jacket of the same and can't say enough good things about the performance.

Thank you Johnny Cakes for noting the different materials by definition.
Many others post about "Schoeller" but fail to state exactly what specific material it is.
Schoeller is a company name that produces many types of fabrics as you state.

Goretex is similar in that there are no less than 6 different types, but somehow all grouped into a catagory of general performance reviews by posters.

The "soft-shell craze" is about as confusing as ever.
Make sure you understand your materials in-depth before purchasing these high-tech garments, which can be quite an investment. :)

How bout the MTN HARDWARE SYNCHRO..it uses that "conduit" fabric. I just got a pair closeout from backcountry.com..they only had XL thankfully thats what I needed, and since they were last seasons model (essentially the same this year except without the suspenders) for $159.00..

Synchro

M

HighHorse said:
any recommendations of similar offerings- highly breathable, highly water repellent and versatile?

From the similar offerings department: I just use some basic windpants like these and wear appropriate layers over or under.

Jeff-B said:
Thank you Johnny Cakes for noting the different materials by definition.
Many others post about "Schoeller" but fail to state exactly what specific material it is.

I second that. I learned a lot from JohnnyCakes' post. I'm now between the Champ (Mammut) and the Cloudveil's (symmetry). I like the Mammut look better, and the reinforced knees, but I don't know if it has 3x dry and the Cloudveil's definitely do.

HighHorse said:
I second that. I learned a lot from JohnnyCakes' post. I'm now between the Champ (Mammut) and the Cloudveil's (symmetry). I like the Mammut look better, and the reinforced knees, but I don't know if it has 3x dry and the Cloudveil's definitely do.

The pair of Mammut Champs I own are made from the "Schoeller Dryskin", but do not have the "3XDRY" label, unlike the Mammut jacket I own, which has both labels sewn in.
I have however field tested both garments together and can honestly say they offer exactly the same water repellent function.
I was quite impressed during a 2+ hour hike under steady rain, where the pants were dry as a bone, and the jacket was only just starting to wick water at the shoulders and back of neck.

Not that these shells are substitutes for hard shell protection in a downpour, they serve a function between extremes and feel incredibly comfortable during active pursuits.

In fact, I think they work the best while staying active, as your body heat escapes, this provides the drying evaporation required to help repel rain water. It's kind of like a engine which runs better when its warmed up.

I would bet that if the jacket were not worn and then simply slung across the back of my pack while hiking in the rain, that it would soon turn to a sloppy sponge.
This is indeed a strange "future fabric"! :cool: