Suggestions for a White Mountain Moron

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My vote is for Whiteface and Passaconaway loop. Fairly close to North Conway, open ledges with scrambling, spectacular views, wooded ridge hike. It's not as busy as the Presidentials and Ferncroft is one of the best trailheads in the Whites.

spencer said:
and I think your kinfolk would be offended if you go to "Limrock" I suspect they live in Limerick! Limerock is the speedway in CT :D
Ooooh, quite right. They actually do not live in Limrock/Limerick/Limerock (quite frankly, It never impressed me enough to learn the name ;)), they are near to there, nestled on a quiet little moutaintop retreat.

Beggin forgiveness to anyone from there........ I'm not sure they even have the internet there :D

chomp said:
Bondcliff is a great hike, but its a long day that involved 5 miles of flat walking just to access the Bondcliff Trail. It is worth the walk, but it is a long day.
Do you mean to tell me that there are actually mountains that you don't have to walk FOREVER before you start climbing? Remember, we hike mostly in the Adirondacks, where a 2-4 miles of flat walking in/out is the park-regulated minimum :D

Everyone, thanks a million, some great info (as I knew I would get). Keep em' coming. We'll probably be hiking on the 7/28-29 or 8/1-2. We'd really like to get up to Katahdin on the 1-2 but I didn't get reservations (so I guess that’s out). My son will be bummed

We'd really like to get up to Katahdin on the 1-2 but I didn't get reservations (so I guess that’s out). My son will be bummed

When we went we didn't get reservations either but we stayed at a campground in Millinocket just outside the park called Hidden Springs. Nice quiet place, then of course we woke up at 3:30 to get in line at the park entrance (this was a Saturday.) http://www.hiddenspring.com/

Last edited:
I'd agree with just about any of the above. The FW-OBP is a great hike but is sort of cliche - you'd feel like too much of a tourist. Of those mentioned I would have to go with SK's Six Husbands-Sphinx loop. I have a few favorites not yet mentioned:
I love trails that pop out suddenly above tree line. The Osseo trail is one of my favorites for that reason. Be sure to hit Flume and Liberty both or continue along the ridge as far as you like.
At the other end of the ridge are the Skookumchuck and Greenleaf trails. Skook is a great trail that ends in a beautiful spot on the ridge north of Lafayette. Hike along the ridge to the summitt of Lafayette to combine this with a descent of Greenleaf through Eagle Pass (Eagle Crag?), which is an awesome place, for a great loop avoiding the crowds except for the summit cone of Lafayette (requires a car spot).
One of my favorite loops with no need for car spotting or a road walk is Old Jackson Road to Nelson Crag. You can continue to Washington summitt or skip it by following the Alpine Garden trail. Your choice of descents - Lion Head, Tuckerman Ravine Trail or Boott Spur. Boott spur gives you more time above treeline, but you miss being on the floor of Tuckerman Raine (which is a truly beautiful place).
Another great loop is up Ammonoosuc Ravine and down Jewell. Again lots of options. You can take the short side trip to Monroe, you can hit the Washington summit or not. I would definitely not skip the summits of Mt. Clay, however. They are gorgeous and crowdless. You can extend the trip over to Sphynx Col as well.
As other have mentioned, there are any number of great options. Manie is good too. Feel free to email me if you want some details on any of the above. Good Luck and welcome to the wonderful whites!

burg said:
I love trails that pop out suddenly above tree line. The Osseo trail is one of my favorites for that reason. Be sure to hit Flume and Liberty both or continue along the ridge as far as you like.
That was my plan when I did it, but I arranged a ride with another hiker and followed the ridge to Lafayette, and down the OBP. A very nice day. Needs a car spot if you can't get a ride.

At the other end of the ridge are the Skookumchuck and Greenleaf trails. Skook is a great trail that ends in a beautiful spot on the ridge north of Lafayette. Hike along the ridge to the summitt of Lafayette to combine this with a descent of Greenleaf through Eagle Pass (Eagle Crag?), which is an awesome place, for a great loop avoiding the crowds except for the summit cone of Lafayette (requires a car spot).
We must think alike--I did this loop too. Also very nice. A ~2mi walk on the bike path will get you back to your car.

The (paved) bike path runs from Skookumchuck Tr parking lot to The Flume parking lot. Easy walking.

Doug

My suggestions:

Franconia Ridge - Falling Waters down OBP it's in every hiking & walking book, a true classic best done on a weekday.

Moosilauke - Defer to Dave's vast knowledge as far as best routes

Non 4K's peaks the Moats & Kearsarge North near North Conway offer great views (I've never been actually wiser people then me tell me I should go here & not use be a 4K snob, they are on my list of places to see) these are still hikes of several miles & over 1000 feet of elevation gain & likely closer to 2000 feet

Baldface Loop
Chocurua - pardon the spelling another weekday choice close to North Conway
Shelbourne Moriah

Back to 4K's
A Southern Presi Loop of Jackson & Pierce
Garfield
Carrigain

In ME, Saddleback IMO is best ME summit destination after Katahdin.

Bonds are great but for a let's get a flavor of a new area, that's a lot of walking IMO, (Sewards wouldn't be my first taste of the ADK's either) A Franconia Traverse is a bit long, you get most of the bang for the buck with the standard loop up Falling Waters & down OBP, I do like the Flume Liberty loop also

I'd do the loop consisting of the Ammonoosuc Ravine, Westside and Jewell Trails.