Suggestions for attaching insoles to shoe?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
I have a pair of 3/4 length motion control orthotics (the rigid kind) that I wear in my hiking shoes. They stay in place on ascents, but on descents they often slide up into the middle or front part of my shoe (especially when my feet are sweating).
I've tried duct tape but it doesn't really help much.
Any ideas?

Also, I'm not looking for anything permanent since I transfer the orthitcs between multiple pairs of shoes/boots.

Thanks,
^MtnMike^

Mike, I have prescription orthotics, 3 sets now. I think you'll need the full length versions as nothing short of epoxy will keep the 3/4 in place very long.
The fact that they slide that much may also indicate there isn't as much heal cup and edge as there could be.

I have 2 sets, one hard one soft, both full length.
Perhaps doublesided tape on the underside of the orthotic might do the trick?
Ball players use rosin on their bats to make them sticky. Would rosin on the underside hold them in place?

Short of replacing them with full-length orthotics, I would first try converting them to full length. Why not try not attaching the front part of an old insole from another set of shoes or boots to your insole? This could be done with duct tape or gluing a layer of fabric across the entire insole to bond the two parts. This should now fill up the entire boot, giving the orthotic no place to slip.

Halite said:
Short of replacing them with full-length orthotics, I would first try converting them to full length. Why not try not attaching the front part of an old insole from another set of shoes or boots to your insole? This could be done with duct tape or gluing a layer of fabric across the entire insole to bond the two parts. This should now fill up the entire boot, giving the orthotic no place to slip.

That's a great idea. From experience, as my full lengths get old the hard part separates from the front soft in-sole part and I've used duct tape to extend the life. The duct tape will hold for a while.
If these are prescription ortho's and the mold is still available, a second or third set shouldn't cost nearly as much as the first and some insurers now pick up part of the cost, but the duct tape idea may work.

I know orthodics are a different thing altogether, but have you ever considered "sole" insoles?

You put those puppies in the oven for 10 minutes, then wear-em in your boots for a bit, and they mold to your feet like orthodics. Seems like it might be worth the 25 bux just to try them on a hike, you could always bring your orthodics along if they don't fit the bill.

-percious

maybe a few lines of Seam Grip on the botom will give it enough friction to stay in place.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them a try on my next few trips. [:)]

^MtnMike^