suggs for easy hike in snow country (NH / VT)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
I usually meander around places close to home this time of year, but right now there is a coating of 3/8" of ice in the Manchester area and that's not fun to walk on.

Are there any suggestions for relatively easy hikes (< 4mi, < 1200ft el gain, no evil water crossings) in the snowier parts of NH (or VT between Hanover & Montpelier), that are aesthetically satisfying? the ones that come to mind are maybe Willard (Sugarloaves would be too but that adds extra roadwalk) and Mt Pemigewasset.

Something off the Kanc or in the Ferncroft area might be nice, or maybe Pondicherry NWR?

help, I need something which I know I'm going to enjoy & is not too difficult.

You can do Moose Mountain in Hanover. To hit South Moose mtn its like a 3.8 mile round trip and there is even a view of Mt Cardigan, Goose Pond and other distant peaks at the top. It was an interesting trail, with a nice stream down low and a mostly open forest further up. My friend and I saw 3 grouse and a snowshoe hare when we took the trip. I assume that people don't hike it too often this time of year, although it is the AT

Another great hike is Plymouth Mtn in Plymouth...elevation 2100 ft. You start around 1000 I think. I recommend taking the Sutherland trail . On this trip, I saw a snowshoe hare, two grouse, a wild turkey and a porcupine. Its another trail that isn't too well known yet so enjoy it while you can.

This is my favorite hike local to Lebanon...and I've hiked it in both summer and winter, but without snow. I would think its awesome with snow. It follows Bicknell Brook to Crystal Lake via the Colette Trail. There is pretty much no elevation gain/loss thruout the entire trip. I have some summer pics if you're interested. The area reminds me of the White Mtns because of the vast amount of spruce and fir, despite the elevation of like 700 or 800 ft.

There are so many more. If I can think of more, I'll let you know.

grouseking

arghman said:
Something off the Kanc or in the Ferncroft area might be nice...

Mts. Pemi or Willard are good ideas for what you have in mind, I agree. Off the Kanc, the closest that springs to mind is Mt. Hedgehog, but that loop is about 4.5 miles, if 4 is your absolute limit. Nice views but lots of ledges so stabilicers at least would be prudent. Potash, from the same trailhead, is about the same, but has a tough crossing of Downes Brook near the beginning. You can avoid that by the fire road about .5 mile W, which intersects the Trail on the W side of the Brook, but there's no parking there.

As to Ferncroft, I've heard Square Ledge from there may be like what you're looking for, but haven't hiked it myself.

Good luck!

Waterville Valley

2 trails in Waterville come to mind. Park at Depot Camp for both.

The first is Greeley Ponds - a great woods walk. Check the WMG.

The second is Timber Camp Trail - 5.2 miles, 1100' elevation gain. Footing is good. Maybe too far, but you can stop whenever you feel like it. Livermore Rd to Greely Ponds Trail to Timber Camp Trail to High Camp. Nice views at the top, but also nice views of Flume Brook from a high bank. Check out Steve Smith's snowshoeing book, or the WMG.

You can use Livermore Rd to access the back country trails, without paying for the X-country ski pass. The only trail that is part of the X - country ski area is Livermore, and you're on it for a vey short distance anyway.

Enjoy!

There are tons of places in the whites that are suitable for what you want to do. Franconia Notch comes to mind. Park anyplace and walk the Pemi Trail or the bike path past the lakes or maybe even up Bald Mtn. The scenery there, as you know, is gorgeous.

You mentioned Pondicherry, which is becoming my most favorite place in NH. The usual approach is 93>3>115>Airport Rd to a parking area on the right, which leads to a 1+ mile walk to Waumbek (Railroad) Junction and the Ponds. From there you should go straight and look for side paths to Big Cherry Pond (on the right) or Little Cherry Pond (on the left), or you can take a right and go past the Viewing Platform (they might as well have built a Starbucks there) to an amazing walk along the Rail Trail with awesome views of the Presis on a clear day. The entire trail system is a RR bed with zero gain, and you can hike for two miles or ten if you'd like. I'll probably be there tomorrow!

bob

When a question like this comes up, I always make the same suggestion: Peaked Mt. in the Green Hills Preserve. Page 429, WMG: "This trail offers an unusually great variety of scenic vistas and natural features...for relatively little effort." 1200 ft. el. gain, 4.2 miles round trip. Look to the left for a snow fence as you cross under the power lines; otherwise you might end up on the Pudding Pond Trail, which is flat and less interesting.

Lonesome Lake in Franconia Notch can be absolutely splendid, especially if Franconia Ridge is peering over the edge of the lake.

I like the Green Hills Preserve, too, but was also thinking of the UNH Trail off the Kanc. as one you might enjoy. There again, you don't have to do the entire loop. I've most always done this clockwise, but sometimes I get wild and do it counter clockwise, just to be different.