Support for the UNsupported

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw a post on another forum :rolleyes: that Tim Seaver was going to attempt a run on the Northville - Lake Placid Trail, my first reaction was, "Drat, someone beat me to it!" That trail has been in the back of my mind for a couple of years now, as an excellent challenge for a non-stop run.

Why?

Same answer that a lot of people who sail across the Atlantic or around the world give. Because it's there. At this point in my life, though, I'm just not up to it. Therefore, my response back on the thread was, if you need support (in my mind, a chair to sit in, food, water, foot work, etc.) I'd be happy to help.

Why?

Well, to be honest, it's as much for me, as for him. I know that I am not capable of that run, so to be able to help someone else do it is to some extent, being a part of it. It's along the same line as people who volunteer at adventure races (me!) or triathlons. To help someone else achieve a goal - race, triathlon or running a long distance trail - not only makes you feel pretty good, but it can give you 1)experience for your own adventures down the line and 2)enthusiasm (Hey! It can be done!).

How is running the NLP Trail or speedhiking the Adirondack 46 any different than swimming, biking and running an arbitrary course, while being provided support? :confused:

chomp said:
By far, the single most impressive UNsupported feat that I know of was done by Brian Robinson. He hiked the Triple Crown (AT, PCT, CDT) in TEN MONTHS... UNSUPPORTED. He sent him self supplies to various locations, but he did not have a team with him on his adventure. He hiked these trails the same way that you or I would... with the small exception of how fast he hiked them.

For anyone interested, you can read about his adventure here:

http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Triple_Crown.html

hey chomp!
brian robinson is definitely up there on the hardguy scale, but i think you're forgettin' about the late great goren kropp. dude made even the 48 record holders look like pikers. cat rode his bike all the way from sweden to kathmandu and then hauled all his stuff to everest basecamp, then climbed all by his lonesome. if i remember right, he wouldn't even use the ladders laid down by the sherpas in the khumbu icefall (or if he did, he had some sort of existential crisis about it!). and one night, he lay awake worrying about eating a bar of chocolate his girlfriend gave him or something like that. oh yeah, and when he had a flat tire in the middle of iran or pakistan or somewhere, he got a ride to get it fixed and then went BACK to where he got the flat to start from there. now here was a dude who was strict about UNsupported. way strict. oh yeah, after gettin' to the top of everest, he rode his bike all the way home.

n.b.--i may have some of the details wrong 'cause it's been awhile since i read his book (which i highly recommend), but believe me, this guy was crazy 'core!!!

Last edited:
bruno said:
hey chomp!
brian robinson is definitely up there on the hardguy scale, but i think you're forgettin' about the late great goren kropp. dude made even the 48 record holders look like pikers. cat rode his bike all the way from sweden to kathmandu and then hauled all his stuff to everest basecamp, then climbed all by his lonesome. if i remember right, he wouldn't even use the ladders laid down by the sherpas in the khumbu icefall (or if he did, he had some sort of existential crisis about it!). and one night, he lay awake worrying about eating a bar of chocolate his girlfriend gave him or something like that. oh yeah, and when he had a flat tire in the middle of iran or pakistan or somewhere, he got a ride to get it fixed and then went BACK to where he got the flat to start from there. now here was a dude who was strict about UNsupported. way strict. oh yeah, after gettin' to the top of everest, he rode his bike all the way home.

Wow, I had a brain cramp there, you are completly right. He hauled all his gear in a bike trailer from sea level and hiked with over 100 pounds up to basecamp. He hired someone to take photos so he didn't have to haul photographic equiptment, tho. :)

As for the icefall, the way I remember it (its been a while since I have read it as well) he hiked in once WITHOUT the ladders on a trial hike, but it he found that it was really unstable. So, on his first summit attempt, he took the ladders, but figured it was OK since he did it once without the ladders. :)

As for what he felt guilty for taking, if I remember correctly, he came within a few hundred meters of the summit on his first attempt and turned around because of the weather. He got back to camp beated and exausted and ate an entire stick of butter! I think that he ate other stuff that he didn't carry for the next week or two to get his strength back. All the while, the tragedy detailed by KRAKAUER in Into Thin Air was taking place. Goran did eventually summit, tho not as unsupported as he had initally hoped.

Unfortunately, Goran is no long with us. He died a couple of years ago rock climbing in Washington state. His accomplishments were amazing, and at the end of his book he mentioned something about wanting to solo sail to Antartica and hike the high peak there unsupported. Thanks for the reminder, Bruno!

I know someone

who does these supported hikes in pursuit of records for the purpose of raising funds for further research of a disease that befell a loved one. In fact, just about everything he does in the mountains and on this site is for that purpose.
Because of that, you couldn't get me to criticize him if you put a gun to my head. I support him in his goals.
I also respect those people who go into the woods and mountains and do incredible things and say little or nothing about it.
The diversity of the people on this website is one of its strengths. The woods and mountains are big enough for all of us to pursue our goals.
Also, someone said Tim Seaver is not posting here anymore. That's a great loss. He's a tremendous athlete and I loved reading about his exploits. Please come back, Tim.

bobandgeri said:
I believe that our very own Sherpa John will be making an attempt at an unsupported traverse of all 48 NH peaks in 5 days in August.
While definitions vary, to do an "unsopported" trip in the outback of Australia you must rely on natural sources of water and cannot drink water from wells, so I would say you couldn't get water at huts.

Stashing water for yourself is OK if you count the time stashing water in your time, otherwise you are being supported by yourself outside your clock time.

People

Can do as they like, I enjoy my time hiking and meeting people, sharing ideas. More power to the people who are supported, we all are in a way. Your gear supports you, others do on the trail, and even the Almighty supports you by favorable weather and good fortune.

So, splitting hairs is splitting hairs. My hats off to those who trail run, but it's not for me so it means about as much as someone hitting .500 in a season...just another figure.

Thankyou all for weighing in on this potentially volatile topic. What I really like about this site is that you can always count on an eclectic response to any topic what ever it might be.
As I stated initially I did not start this thread to play down any supported record attempts or records already held; but more to illicit responses from people that may have more of a minimalist approach to there “OWN QUIET AGENDA”.
I guess there is somewhat of a duality to what I am asking here. First are there folks here who abide to more “self supported” guidelines in there own hiking goals and secondly are those goals perhaps not oriented around the more traditional/celebrated records or lists.
I do agree with what some people have stated or alluded to that “Support” or “Unsupported” can be a relative term of the context of the situation; weather it be self imposed or imposed by a sanctioning body. Personally I think of UNsupported being more of an individual effort weather it be Solo or by a group where the particular goal or record at hand is achieved with minimal outside help if at all once you have hit the trail.
Also Thankyou to those of you that have tried to keep this thread on topic and not turn it into some sort of bashing session.

I don't really care about records....... but it impressive as hell to hear about them and think "Holy Shit, how did he (or she) do that?"

With that beign said I weigh around 275 and I feel it is a huge deal whenever I reach the top of any mountain. I would say I am trying quietly become the fattest person to reach the top of all 48 but I would be lying. Most of the time I am yelling at myself and asking "why the hell are you doing this? you don't belonmg here?"

patrickbrusil said:
I don't really care about records....... but it impressive as hell to hear about them and think "Holy Shit, how did he (or she) do that?"

With that beign said I weigh around 275 and I feel it is a huge deal whenever I reach the top of any mountain. I would say I am trying quietly become the fattest person to reach the top of all 48 but I would be lying. Most of the time I am yelling at myself and asking "why the hell are you doing this? you don't belonmg here?"

I agree with you . I do think that too How do they do it.
I also think many off us ask our selves that. I know I have with my many injuries . I wonder what is a Guy with a messed up knee ,shoulder and and chronic severe pain ( Neck injury) doing here. I gues I love hiking and climbing too much to stop .

On the Subject of Non Supported , what about Messner's Solo of everests North side . The book about it is called the Crystal Horizion. In one section he was hallucinting that he ws climbing with some one. He wnt to China alone with a girlfriend and climbed the mountain on his own . If i rember correctly he did not even bring a radio with him desprite his then girlfriends wanting him to take one.

Last edited:
I am a heavy guy and it makes for a pretty tuff climb up some mountains. I like the struggle on the mountain, it makes me feel alive..part of me likes burning skinnier guys on the trail too (only the arrogant types that smirk). We should all try to break our own records and not pay interest in what others do on the mountains. We all have our own goals and its best we meet them regardless of being over/under book time. The summit is always my goal regardless of the time it takes to reach it. Making it back down alive is also and important goal, knowing when to turn back and dropping the macho sh*t.

All problems become smaller if you don’t dodge them, but confront them. Touch a thistle timidly, and it pricks you; grasp it boldly, and its spines crumble.

-William S. Halsey