Surprise from Eddie Bauer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erugs

Reaction score
I just received a mailing at work from Eddie Bauer. Usually I just skim through the catalog and think "Oh, nice color on that jacket, but I don't really need another one." But this time, I saw they are offering "Igniter Pant" which is a Primaloft filled pant selling for $129. I'm thinking it would be good for backpacking warmth at camp in the colder weather. Or home, when the furnace is turned back.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

yes I purchased a pair of Mountain Hardwear primaloft pants a couple of years ago when I realized that having warm lightweight backup pants was the weakest link of my gear.
Had all sorts of stuff for my torso but not for my legs.
I most recently used them on this Oct kayak trip...which is one reason I like primaloft.

...never make it as a fashion statement but they sure come in handy...

Primaloft comes in 2 different categories, if I remember correctly, Primaloft Sport and Primaloft one. Either one has been fine for anything I've ever looked at.

I used an insulated pair of pants on Denali, and they were WONDERFUL. They're perfect for winter backpacks in the Whites. They're light, they compact, and they're so darn warm.

Primaloft is my preferred winter insulation. I have a coat, pants, boots and gloves made with the stuff. It’s lightweight, compressible and warm when wet.

The Primaloft pants I have are way to warm to wear while active. I use them for sedentary situations.

You didn’t mention what material they use for the liner and shell or the weight of the primaloft. Very important IMO when spending that kind of dough.

I find a heavyweight fleece pant to be a bit more versatile (breathe-ability wise), albeit a bit less packable - for sleeping while winter camping, under shell layers for downhill skiing or walking the dog, etc... and a lot more affordable than down or Primaloft - although if I had the cash, or did more than a few winter overnights, would probably get a pair "for my gear collection".

Last edited:

Latest posts